Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm baaack to bug you all again!

I am no expert when it comes to .22LR ammo, so I need your help. What can you folks recommend for my Model 60. My main requirements are sufficient power for reliable cycling and clean burning, given this rifle's reputation for getting dirty.

FYI, a buddy at work swears by CCI Stingers for his Beretta.

TIA

Steve

·
Registered
363 Posts
most every .22 rifle i have will shoot cci mini mags good enough for hunting purposes. they are worth a try as they are cheaper than stingers, burn clean enough and are found anywhere i know of. stingers have never shot good out of any rifle i own.

mini-mags are worth a try.

luck!

·
Registered
137 Posts
LVSteve:

My M60SS shoots Winchester Power Points very well. Also, PMC Zappers and Dynapoints. By far it shoots the Eley HV 37.5 grain HP the best. These have the white rabbit illustration on the box. Off the bench at 20 yds it shoots 5 shot groups in one ragged hole. Rapid fire at 50+ yards it holds a group to an inch or so. When rested at this distance it shot my last 2 rounds into the nose of a woodchuck target - right in the black-tip - and right where I aimed, 3/8" center to center. These rounds are what I'm going to shoot when I need to hunt for head shots on eatable game. You'll have to try different ammo to see which kind your 60 prefers. Then use that brand and type. :)

GOOD SHOOTING!

Range Finder

·
Registered
485 Posts
stay away from the milk cartoon ammo of any brand too much wax gums the autos up pretty quick i like federal lightnings for cheap reliable cycling the hyper vel are hard on cheaper auto's & cost more & may not shoot as well as standard vel in alot of rifles buttt ya may have to try a bunch of diffrent 1's to findout what your gun likes & thats 1/2 the fun of the trip :) mike243

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Actually if you get the Federal Bulk ammo at wal mart it is copper jacketed and cycles through the Mod 60 with out any problems and it shoots well. I would stay away from the lead bullets, they do seem to gum them up bad. I have had my mod 60 since 1972 and cant even begin to count the # of rounds shot out of it. I clean it every once in a while when it needs it. A couple weeks ago I shot about 400 rounds out of it on a Sat morning with out a single problem. I think the Federal bulk ammo is $8.97 for 550 rounds at Wal mart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I will visit the local stores and see which of the the recommended brands is available.

I was leaning towards a jacketed round as the action was full of what looked like grease encased lead shavings when I first got it. For sure, the previous user had not cleaned the gun properly after use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts