Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin 25n (now cataloged as a 925C I think) bolt action .22 rifle. I have been trying to find the ammo it likes best. So far Remmington Thunderbolts seem to shoot best. I have tried CCI Mini Mags (they were the worst) Winchester Powerpoints (not bad, not as good as thunderbolts) Remmington subsonics (always had a flyer) and Federal Champion solids (Very nice shooting, especially the cheap price). Wally world didn't have any match ammo. Just looking for opinions of some good shooting ammo in a micro groove barrel.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
No two guns shoot the same, and some will like just one brand of ammo compared to some that will shoot anything well.. .. My Rems like Rem ammo best.. My CZ shoots a lot of different ammo well.. Just have to keep trying till you find the sweet stuff..

·
Registered
187 Posts
As GJ said, no two guns will shot exactly the same. Buy several diff. brands and take them to the range. I wouldnt over look winchester wildcats. My 39a groups better with these than anything else!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I will try some wildcats. I am really suprised that the cheap federal champion solids do as good as they do. Hope to find something a little better than the thunderbolts.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
If you are not too cheap, you will find match ammunition groups the best of all possible choices. This should not be a surprise. That's what you're paying the extra dollars for. I have seen very few exceptions to this when it comes to .22's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, that is what I would have thought also, that target ammo would be the best of all.
I went to the gunshop monday and got two boxes of match ammo, both came with high recomendations. I ended up with Elley Club and Dynamit Nobel Target Rifle, $10.00 for both boxes. Neither would group, out of my Marlin, as well as the Federal champion solids ($.98 per box) or the Remmington Thunderbolt solids. The Remmington 22 subsonic hollowpoints show lots of promise but give a flyer with every 5 shot group. So far, my best is still Remmington Thunderbolts.
Mr. Joe, are those solids or hollowpoints?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hollow Points. My 39a shoots the best with these, and if you can beleive it so does my 452. Weird i know. My winchesters both like wolf match though. I once had a 39a (stolen) that liked rem golden bulk pack ammo. Go figure

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
deputygene, all that means is that you've got to try different match ammo. It is loaded more consistently than bulk pack ammo, and once you find a brand your gun likes you'll find the match ammo is free of the flyers that often plague the cheaply loaded rounds. The match ammo is more consistently primed, with more uniform bullets. There is Wolf, Lapua, and other brands available for you to try, and Eley offers many different grades of .22 practice, target and match ammunition. Not too many match shooters would show up with Thunderbolts in their guns.

Saying your gun shoots best with Remington Thunderbolts is sorta like saying your Chevy pickup runs faster when you put a four banger Honda Civic engine in it. It might run fast enough to suit you, but better can be had. Same with the Remington Thunderbolts. These are among the cheapest of the cheap bulk pack ammo, and if you cannot find something that will beat it you're not trying very hard. It is not very consistent, and not the favorite of those who dote on accurate .22 ammunition. Remington Subsonic is not the best of the subsonics either. My groups also have flyers in them, and I've had frequent misfires. For better subsonic hollowpoints you need to try the Eley subsonic, PMC Moderators and CCI subsonic.

Quite frankly, Remington's forte is not their .22 long rifle ammunition. And rimfire rifles have their preferences, but having a rifle that shoots cheapo bulk pack Thunderbolts better than all other possibilities would be unlikely.

I'm sure you'll find something better. Discovering what shoots best is all the fun, anyway.

BTW, are you letting the barrel settle in after switching brands? It usually takes 10-15 shots for a barrel to stabilize when brands are switched, as the different lubricant used on the various types of .22 ammo affects groups when changing brands. No kidding. If you shoot 5 or 10 shots of one brand, then switch to another and do the same thing when accuracy testing, you won't get the potential accuracy out of the ammunition.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great information 35 remmington! I know different rifles shoot better with different ammo, I just figured most Marlin microgroove rifles would like a few different types of ammo for me to try. I am as suprised by the Thunderbolts and Federal champions also, but that is what it shoots best with so far. I'll keep looking, and maybe try some wolf ammo next time. One thing, if it shoots thunderbolts well, it ought to be a real shooter with it's preferred ammo.
That Elley club sure does smell funny when you shoot it.
I did figure the barrel would need to settle when switching ammo, but not that many rounds. I usually fired a five shot group, then started trying to group serious.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
I know what you mean about the funny smelling Eley ammo, I understand it is the priming mix that you are smelling. I figure it smells like accuracy.

I also can relate about some lots of bulk ammo shooting well, and I have also had luck with Federal Champion and their bulk hi-speed stuff. My last brick of Lightnings shot so well I bought five more with the same lot number. I am now saving it for my homemade small game bullet die. I put flatpoints on them and use them as my general purpose hunting ammunition.

Like you said, if it shoots the bulk stuff well it ought to be a real shooter with the good stuff. Keep looking-you'll find it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found a 100 count box of remmington standard velocity solids, marked 22 target, at Wallyworld for $4.00. They are about the best I have found so far. My gun seems to like standard velocity best. I got numerous one hole groups at 25 yards shooting this stuff. They impact very close to where remmington subsonics hit. I have taken a liking to the low noise subsonic hollow points for squirrel hunting. Even at subsonic velocity, they expand quite a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts