Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new single shot 45-70 and I'm searching for cast bullet for paper. I figure any flat nosed bullet will be ok for hunting but I'm primarily talking target loads on this one.
image.jpg
Here's a stock photo as I don't have it in hand for a week or so. I will post pics as soon as I can.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Congrats on that Sharps. Western bullet Company makes the bullets that I use in my Sharps.
480gr spitzer with 28gr's of IMR-4198 is a nice load that I use for silhouette shoots...since I shoot 40+ rounds....trust me, too heavy a load and you will be bruised up.
630gr RN....28gr's of IMR-4198 will hit your shoulder hard with this bullet, it's fine if you aren't shooting a lot of them....I've since reduced the load to 26gr's for much better results....especially when shooting 25+ rounds in a sitting.
three on the right I use in my Sharps, 630gr LRN, 560gr LCNGC, 480gr spitzer
On the left are the bullets I use in my Marlins except the 9mm bullet, that one is in here for "perspective": 147gr 9mm, 350gr Dardas LRNFP, Meister 405gr LRNFP, Remington 405gr JSP, Meister 530gr LRNFPGC
Here's a pic:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Congrats on the sharps! they are beautiful arms. what is the twist in your sharps? since I am an old Phart and can't remember what it is in mine I cant say, but I know I can't get it to like anything over 350 grains. kind disappointed. seems like it is 1-38 or something like that. have to dig it out and see, I would really like to get something heavier to shoot better out of it. 405's printed minute of berm no matter what charge. slugged it to see what was up and it's at 459+/_ so it wasn't boolit diameter. would like to hear what yours turns out liking.
even though they are heavy, the will still have you looking for your momma after an extended session.

Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Oh My......nice rifle Sparky. I have been studying this subject myself for my new Sharps. Accurate has a good looking 425gr that looks like it should play "as is". They also have some others that could be interesting by changing the meplat shape.

Accurate Molds: Custom Bullet Molds

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the input keep em coming.
Hey CS that is a fine looking bullet. I will study on that one a bit.
Something I didn't think of was to ask Shiloh if they have any recommended loads or bullet designs.
Deerstalker...I don't really know what the twist is I'm ashamed to say. I better dig into that asap.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
most are 1-18 or 1-22. I got a weird one with much slower twist. shoots up to 350 g boolits fine. anything much over that and you are safe in front of it unless you have no luck. 405's are wild.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deerstalkert, I was gonna call and discuss it with them today but I worked late so hopefully tomorrow. I looked at shilohs forum earlier and theres some info on paper patching and loads for them etc. Likely a good resource to learn something.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
sparky, if you go to paper patching you will become a changed man. patching is like redheaded women and aged whiskey. you will never be the same.
I am pretty sure the Shiloh's are 1-18. mine is a C.Sharps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts