Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello chaps.

I would like to know in your opinion which is the best .44 jacketed bullet out there for deer and/or hog hunting. I looked through MidwayUSA reviews for several and all of them seem to be good.

I dont have the gun yet, but I already ordered 240 JHP Remingtons to evaluate my new 1894SS. Made two loads of 20 with Bluedot for that reason (target ony).

- 10 gr
- 14.7 gr

Thank you.

Cheers,
Mad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
For deer. any of the 240s should do fine. Folks will argue their favorites, but you are throwing a lot of lead at a fairly delicate animal at moderate velocity.

I don't hunt hogs although I lived on the NC/VA line and saw a few. I'd be using Hornady 265 grains or hard cast 255 SWC were there any chance I would run into one of the 250 pounders. In that case, I would want all the penetration I could get and would skip the expansion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,457 Posts
The Speer 270s have been the most accurate for me, both in my 44 mag and in my 444s. Performance on hogs and deer has been outstanding. Others claim good results with the Hornady 265 grain bullets, but some also say they are a little too tough for deer sized game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
buckeyeshooter said:
I like the hornady XTP-- 300 grain is my preferred weight.
Isn't 300 gr too heavy for the slow Marlin 1894's twist rate?

Thank you :)
Cheers,
Mad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
I haven't tried the jacketed 300 grainers, but my 1894 won't shoot the Lee 310 grain worth a whoop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Mad,

Here is a Midway review of the Hornaday 265 gr bullet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=605468

I am currently experimenting with the Speer 270 gr as they are available in boxes of 50. The 265 horndays are next but I really haven't had time to shoot lately. We have hogs in the area so I am looking at the heavier bullets.

The slow twist of the marlin leaves me leary of trying 300 gr bullets.

I may also try Beartooth 250 and 265 gr cast as I like the wide meplats of those bullets.

Keep us informed.

Corbi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
I have used the Speer 270gr. and the Beartooth 265gr on deer out of a 445 Super Mag (rifle) and was very pleased with the accuracy of both.

If I had to choose, I'd take the Beartooth bullet. Good meplat that provides lots of shock and a nice wound channel.

The Speer, is a great bullet, but it causes a good bit of shock damage (bloodshot meat), where the Beartooth cast does not.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,030 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with a Remington 240-SP, good bullet and priced right, I shoot a ton of them, and they shoot well enough for hunting in the woods. I've also tried the Speer Gold Dots in 240 and 270 grain flavors, both were VERY accurate and either one would do a number on old Bambi.

I'm also getting ready to test some Hunter's Supply 300-grain hardcast WFN slugs, but they won't feed thru my 1894SS unless I seat them deep. Max Overall length is listed at 1.610 inches, seated to the crimp groove they measure 1.712! They'll fit in my Redhawk, but I have to shorten them to 1.625 to get them to feed in the Marlin. I have high hopes for this bullet, they were on sale at Midway. And I'm not worried about the heavy slug and the slow twist, I've shot some one-holers with the Meister 300, I just like the wider meplat on this new bullet better. Besides, they look REALLY cool! :D

Papajohn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
I like the Remington 180 grain JSP for handguns. My S&W 629-6-1/2" Classic produces 1900 fps muzzle velocity, and 2400 fps out of my Marlin 1894 SS.

With my carbine, this computes to 2000 fps out at 100 yards and 1600 ft-lbs energy. With a zero at 75 yards, the bullet goes from + 1/2" at 35 yards to -1-1/2" at 110 yards. I like the trajectory ... not quite the rainbow of the 240 grain bullet.

While I have not taken any deer, coyote only, and there are those that postulate that this 180 grain round will not take a deer, I do not understand why not. Folks take deer with a 180 grain bullet, using a .357 magnum. Why not a 180 grain bullet, using a .44 magnum.

Seems good to me. I might just have to go after a deer, just to see how it does.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,030 Posts
As long as you're using a soft-point, you should be fine. The hollow points have a nasty reputation for blowing up on bones and not killing the critter very fast. And a flatter trajectory is always a good thing, less chance for a sighting or range estimation error to cause problems. I think you're on the right track, let us know how it goes!

Papajohn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,911 Posts
In my 1894 I get 10 shot groups of less than 1" with the 300 grain hornady and a max charge of 2400. So, they stabalize just fine in my gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, guys for all the help.
Dont know what in the hell I would do without all of yous ;) I mean it too.

Cheers,
Mad
 
G

·
I've shot exactly 10 factory produced current production .44 magnum Hornady 300gr. XTP rounds through my 1894SS at paper at 25 yards and the holes are clean, round, and group about 3-5 inches. Of course, I'm shooting without a scope and I haven't gotten much experience with my 1894SS since it's so new to me.

10 more of those rounds at 1/4" steel plates and the holes were nice and round. The Hornady 300gr. stuff hits really hard. It would stop anything in the Western world as far as I'm concerned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mikeashurst said:
I've shot exactly 10 factory produced current production .44 magnum Hornady 300gr. XTP rounds through my 1894SS at paper at 25 yards and the holes are clean, round, and group about 3-5 inches. Of course, I'm shooting without a scope and I haven't gotten much experience with my 1894SS since it's so new to me.

10 more of those rounds at 1/4" steel plates and the holes were nice and round. The Hornady 300gr. stuff hits really hard. It would stop anything in the Western world as far as I'm concerned.
Have you tried shooting at 50 or 100 yards?

Thanks
Cheers,
Mad
 
G

·
the_mad_rshn said:
mikeashurst said:
I've shot exactly 10 factory produced current production .44 magnum Hornady 300gr. XTP rounds through my 1894SS at paper at 25 yards and the holes are clean, round, and group about 3-5 inches. Of course, I'm shooting without a scope and I haven't gotten much experience with my 1894SS since it's so new to me.

10 more of those rounds at 1/4" steel plates and the holes were nice and round. The Hornady 300gr. stuff hits really hard. It would stop anything in the Western world as far as I'm concerned.
Have you tried shooting at 50 or 100 yards?

Thanks
Cheers,
Mad
I shot 10 more of same Hornady rounds at standard typing paper at 50 yards. All 10 hit the paper with nice, clean, round holes but my grouping of 5-10 inches could be better. That was not the gun, but me! I was hesitant to mention the 50 yard shooting due to embarassment. :oops:

I haven't shot any other ammo except 240gr. American Eagle JHP with similar results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you sir. And welcome to the board. I think I will be getting me some 300 rgainers :D

Cheers,
Mad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
the_mad_rshn said:
Hello chaps.

I would like to know in your opinion which is the best .44 jacketed bullet out there for deer and/or hog hunting. I looked through MidwayUSA reviews for several and all of them seem to be good.

I dont have the gun yet, but I already ordered 240 JHP Remingtons to evaluate my new 1894SS. Made two loads of 20 with Bluedot for that reason (target ony).

- 10 gr
- 14.7 gr

Thank you.

Cheers,
Mad
When I hunted hogs near Jolon, CA we used factory Rem 240 gr. SJHP with perfect satisfaction. We shot for meat and didn't kill HUGE hogs but those in the 150-250 pound range, mostly on the smaller side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hobie said:
When I hunted hogs near Jolon, CA we used factory Rem 240 gr. SJHP with perfect satisfaction. We shot for meat and didn't kill HUGE hogs but those in the 150-250 pound range, mostly on the smaller side.
Hey Hobie,

I tried Remington 240 JHPs too and they did not shoot well at all in my SS - all over the place with 14.7 gr of BlueDot. But 240 XTP shot very nicely with 24 gr of H110.

Cheers,
Mad
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top