Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just aquired a .35 Remington I plan on using for deer and Hog. Right now all I have are the Remington factory 200grrn. I believe this will work just fine.

That said when I start reloading in your opinion what would be the best choice in a bullet? Our hogs have some feral genes in them and can get pretty big.

Of course the hunting is thick and shots are usually close but there are enough fire breaks and logging roads to be prepared for 125-150yd shots.

One last consideration when I do start reloading I plan on sneaking up on some of .35 Remington's 2200fps loads using H4895.

thank you very much!

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I have never had an oportunity to take a hog, that said I have read a lot about it here and elsewhere, you want a round that will stay togeather and penetrate well. I am sure your factory 200 grn will work. Just remember if it is a bad angle or you are being charged penetration will make the difference.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
BMAN
I have used a 223 with Barnes X bullets and a 338 Win with 250gr Nosler
Partitions for Hogs. Both did the job, but the only time I saw one do the "no step lights out" was when a freind of mine shot one with a 35 200gr rem. green box. As far as reloading I have only reloaded the 35 for my brother using 200gr Hornady Interlock. When it comes to standerd lead core, the interlock is a fine bullet. I'm sure the remingtons would do the job just fine also.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Bman, congrats on the 35, and welcome to the fraternity! I'm deep into load development for mine, and quickly found it's VERY picky about ammo. Tried the Rem. 150-grain load, the gun hated it. Tried the 200 Core-Lokt, and loved it. Tried the Speer 180 grain bullet, results inconclusive so far, still doing some tweaking. Never shot a hog myself, but would love to, and when I go, that Rem 200 factory load is going too, unless I can top it. It may be possible, but not easy.......my rifle shoots those 200's into an inch if I do my part! :!:

The one thing I've heard time and again is that for hogs, the 35 is hard to beat. Dumb old porkers apparently don't know this wonderful old cartridge is 96 years old and totally obsolete! :wink:

PJ the Potential Porkinator

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just stick with 200 grain or heavier bullets and you will do fine. If the hog is 300 pounds or less, don't worry about shooting through the plate on their shoulder. If the hog is over 300 pounds, try to get a quartering away shot or head shot it. When they get over 300 pounds, that plate can really get tough. I've seen it stop arrows, buckshot, and shotgun slugs more than once. If you get charged, drop the gun and climb. They can't jump so you only need to get 5 or 6 foot off the ground. I'm kidding. Hog charges are rare. Most of the time, they just run in the direction that they are pointed. And if they do charge, usually you can step around a tree to avoid the hog and he will pass by.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies!! I have had good success accuracy wise form Hornady's in my .308. This is just personal opinion but I think Hornady's product is worth .02 more per bullet over the Remingtons. This is based on the quality of projectile in my factory ammo. My local component supplier does not carry anything for the .35 Remington so I'll be ordering my lead.

While we are at it do wheel weight bullets hold up for this application? As in are they hard enough with gas check not too lead the bore and soft enough not to shatter and blow up on bone around 2000 fps? All my cast bullet experience is in hand guns and well my hand guns won't push any reasonable slug 2000 fps. I do cast some for my 30-30 but so far have only used reduced loads for plinking.

Thanks again.

B.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You need to go to Beartooth Bullets for cast bullet questions. They have lots of information on casting bullets. I am no expert, but most of the people posting about hunting with hard cast bullets, water quinch to gain additional hardness. They just drop the bullets right out of the mold into cold water. Like I said. Go to Beartooth and ask questions over there.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Bman:

Wheelweight .35's work well on deer and are fine as is for all average whitetail hunting. They will work @ 2000 fps in Microgroove or conventional barrels just fine, although barrels that are a little rough will fire a limited number of shots before accuracy will go downhill. For me, in my older 336 .35, wheelweights at 2100-2150 fps or so will go 12-14 rounds before groups start to enlarge. It's a rougher barrel, with reamer marks still visible from the muzzle when a light is shined down into the barrel. That's plenty of rounds to get you through deer season. At 2000 fps accuracy holds up quite a bit longer. A wheelweight RCBS 200 FN I shot into the lower neck of a whitetail, smashing the bone, opened up like a fan blade and gave limited penetration thereafter, with a tapering wound channel. Distance was 40 yards. MV was around 2100 fps. It's plenty for deer but a little soft for pigs, I would think. Even after striking bone the bullet did not fracture, but opened up to such a wide diameter that when it came to rest it was against the inside left shoulder blade. It did not have enough energy left to break it.

For hogs, I'd temper the bullet so it's a little harder, and believe it or not, I would not try to drive it too fast. Even with low antimony wheelweight alloy, velocities around 2200 fps tend to promote fracturing/loss of the bullet nose of BHN 31-33 alloys, but they do not shatter like linotype would. Personally, I would try a 220 Speer above anything else, but that's just based on testing and other game use. I have not used it on hogs, but it offers expansion and deeper penetration than any other suitable jacketed bullet in .35. The 180 Speer comes very close to it in penetration. I would like to see a hog's shoulder plate that could stop this bullet-it probably would not be one that originates on planet Earth.

If I were to use a nonexpanding lead bullet I'd probably drag out my .45-70 in preference to the .35.

·
Registered
137 Posts
all this talk about shooting pigs! Gosh silly ole hick I am I have been killing them with a 22 LR all my life shot between the eyes.
I'd like to see a hog's shield that can stop a shotgun slug at slug normal operating ranges, or an arrow from a good hunting weight bow. I've seen them killed with knives,spears,bows,revolvers and everything else.
These were hogs up to 500# on scales after dressing them!
There is not a hog alive that can take a 150 gr rn 35 load in the vitals and go very far. Anyone tells you different they are plain makeing it up!! :roll:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Almost any gun will kill a hog, but they don't usually leave much of a blood trail. If you hunt 'em in heavy cover, which they favor, you need something which will put 'em down quickly. Otherwise, you might be barbecuing hamburgers for dinner instead of wild hog. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There seems to be some disagree that the shield on a large hog can stop an arrow or shotgun slug. I can only tell you my experience. I have shot a hog with a 75 pound PSE compound bow at 20 yards. I hit the shield. He jerted his head up and looked around, like what was that. Then he went back to feeding with the arrow sticking in his shoulder. I waited until he turned quartering away and shoot him again. This time the arrow went completely through him. I have been hunting with other people that have had the same experience. Any one that tells you that the shield on a large hog will not stop an arrow is "just plain making it up". Also, I have had the shield on a large hog stop a shotgun slug. This came from experience, not reading someone else's thread or spectulation. On a large hog, it is best to get a quartering away shoot and put the bullet right behind the rib section, angling up through the lungs and heart or head shoot the hog.

It is just irritating to have people call me a liar, when I have said that I have seen it more than once. I did not say that the shield would stop every arrow or every shotgun slug. I said that the shield can get really tough on large hogs and that I had seen it stop arrows and slugs more than once. I have also seen people shoot through the shield on a large hog with arrows and guns, but not every time. It is best to get quartering away shoot or head shoot the hog. Or maybe PA Ridge Runner can't tell the difference between a boar and a sow.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wasn't trying to start something!! I just did not want to buy bullets and work up a load only to find out they are too soft or hard or what ever. I don't know this but I believe that I would rather have a bullet that will hold up to a hog to one that opens up easily on deer. I don't know if there is a happy medium or not. That I guess is really my Q. So from what I have been able to gather if I stick with loads between factory and 2100 fps or so Remingtons 200 will work. Though if they shoot well in my gun and velocity approaches 2200fps I should be better served with Speer's 220gr offering.

Most times I will be shooting deer or smaller hogs. Just want to be prepared in case.

B

·
Registered
50 Posts
been raising hogs and eating them for 50+ yrs, guess that qualifies me to tell which ones got the nuts!
For several years I worked on weekends in a "hunting preserve " here in Pa where sports came to shoot a "razorback" ( feral hogs ) as a guide that involved not much more than leading some dim wit out to a elevated stand then making a pig drive towards them. I have seen old grizzled stud boars over 500# drop to a 22 mag, I have seen ornery old boars shot with 35# recurve bows right thru the "plate". Many more times ( about 200 would be a fair estimate) I myself shot a wounded hog or just shot one for the hunter after they gave up with my 357 mag Blk Hwk most were shot right thru the plate if they even had a plate. not every boar has one, most have some grizzel but not much of it.
About 20 yrs ago I killed 2 cape buffalo with a 50 # recurve 1 shot each behind the shoulder at <30 yds. One the arrow went clean thru.....now Taylor are you trying to tell us that those oinkers are tougher than a cape buffalo? That they can shed a shaft from a 75# compound at reasonble distances? With no more fret than as if a horsefly just bit him in the ass?? Was there a moonshine still in the swamp you were hunting that had a tin cup there for free samples on the way to your stand???????????????? :roll:

·
Registered
137 Posts
easy unc, you'll bust a vessel! No doubt this Taylor fella is much more knowledgeble about those real mean hogs out his way that are clad in kevlar. See you and Mary on Saturday at camp, bring the bacon,chops,and ham. And make sure it is from one of those sissy a$$ sows ...they're the ones WITHOUT NUTS!!!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Daaaammnn,I just stepped in here to have a look at these hog things and it's like...like..2:00 am. saturday night at the Dew Drop Inn!This heres a real ******* forum ...Just my kind of place! I'll just sit down over hear and have a Killian's, No sir, I'm NOT looking for trouble just larnin' about hogs and how to hunt em'Shootrj2003

·
Registered
162 Posts
You guys must be experts. I hunted and killed hogs at Fesenthal National Wifelife Refugee with a 22 mag also. In squirrel season, it is all that is legal.

Ed Williams had an arrow stopped by the shield. Ed lives in Texarkana. I was hunting with Ed outside Cathage, Texas and saw it. And his brother has had it happen too.

Now that I think about it, there is a hunting video named "Raging Boars" that shows a hog being shoot in the shield. It was bedded down, shoot, then stands up and charges the archer. It cuts the camera man on the charge. Go rent it. You will see the arrow stopped by the shield. Then come back and tell me that I am a liar.

I guess I should not let someone like you irritate me, but you are telling people that they can shoot right through the shield on a large hog with an arrow and that's not always true. Somethings you can and sometimes you can't.

I've said enough. I am not going to feed the trolls anymore. People that read this thread can take or leave what I or you have said. But at least, I have offered proof. And now, anyone that wants to rent the video can see you guys are not experts and they will know who is lieing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
now Taylor I don't want to go assuming nothing,as you have a bedded hog getting hit with an arrow...nope I wouldn't want to assume nothing...like maybe, just possible like there was a shoulder blade under that shield covering up the vitals on a bedded hog...nope I ain't gunna assume nothing seeing how you got a video of it to prove your word.
Goofier things do happen...like the time I saw a cottontail named Peter take a load of 00 Buck from a 12 ga. at 10 feet and live on to make his egg delivery on Easter morning, must be true cause my pappy got video of me picking the eggs up at the local ballfield. :wink:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Of course, you will understand anything posted by you guys in the future, we will not know if you are telling the truth or not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts