Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using 170 gr Remington Core-Lokt. I only put about 200 rounds through the rifle since I've only had it a little while and there's no close range in Brooklyn, but it shoots as consistent as I let it. I noticed it leaves a decent bit of residue in the barrel, though, which I don't love about it but I always take my time cleaning it. Overall, I'm satisfied but I just wanted to hear a second opinion from more experienced shooters.

Does anyone have an opinion on this ammo, and does anyone have recommendations on a better ammo to use?

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Kinda like asking "what gasoline do you use?"
Short answer - what ever has the best price.
Longer answer - depends on what you are shooting at.
Secret answer - whatever Walmart has on sale
Real answer - I shot two boxes of Winchester 150grs to start my break-in, after that I reloaded. I shot Winchesters because they were on sale at Walmart.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
170 grain core-lokts have been the old standby for the thutty-thutty for decades.
I guess the arthrititic hip musta been bothering me and I felt a need to lighten the old wallet a bit when I bought the premium federal ammo pushing the 170 grain nosler partitions for almost twice as much per box this fall at the lgs.
The deer wasn’t any deader this fall than the one I shot the fall before with the lowly core-lokts and I think the core-lokts were actually more accurate than the spendy premium ammo.
Like they say there’s no fool like an old fool and there’s one born every minute.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Federal Power Shok 'blue box' ammo is usually pretty decent quality and accurate for the money. Many rifles and not just 30-30s seem to shoot it really accurately. I know my Marlin and many others do pretty well with the Fed 170 gr load.

·
Registered
316 Posts
FWIW, which ain't much, my two 30-30s like Federal blue box ammo with 170 grain bullets. I really tried to like the Core-lokts, which could be accurate, but inconsistent. But, I'm an accuracy freak, and to me, shot placement with the right bullet is everything. If I had the knowledge, time, space, and temperament, I'd roll my own, which would be even better.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I don’t usually bother to handload 30-30.
I usually wait for sales at the box stores and buy a bunch when it’s dirt cheap.
Green box, blue box ... one’s as good as another.
Not going for the 1000 yd gold in marksmanship when I take the thutty-thutty to the woods looking for a freezer full of venison or pork chops.

·
Registered
9,564 Posts
Have to agree with the above. The best is whatever your gun shoots best. As far as quality, most of the major manufacturers produce good ammo and the 30 30 is about as reasonable as it gets.

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
I got 5 boxes in green/yellow, blue, red (monarch?!), etc. in 150gn and 170gn. Had lots of fun on a rare day I had 8hrs. The Federal came out on top by a noticeable margin. All were minute of Deer but the Federal were minute of Chipmunk. Went with Federal and buy it only on sale.

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
I have used 170 gr. Rem, Win, and Fed. Although I have reloaded 30-30's, I am well supplied after buying several boxes of Factory loaded Win. from a friend who had to give up shooting. I think the 30-30 is a classic round, but don't really shoot it very often.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What are you using it for? If it's just target shooting I'd get the cheapest stuff I could find and blast away. If your looking for hunting ammo, the 170 corelokts are usually accurate in most guns, I'm sure the Federals are too.If you want to supersize, try the Hornaday LE's, or Winchester powermax. Just dial them in.

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
My circa 1976 336C in 30/30 shoots the Federal® Power-Shok® 170gr JRNSP (#3030B) better than any other ammunition.

·
Administrator
23,788 Posts
The best is a custom reload.

Now reality for non reloader. Go to your local suppliers and see what's on the shelf. Likely you will find Rem, Win and Fed.

If you are happy with core lokts, stock up.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
It's been some time since I last did a bench test comparison with ammo in my 30-30, but for info mine always grouped the best with the Federal 170gr loads in tests I've done in the past with various brands/bullets. I might add though, I bought some not long ago, but have yet to try the Hornady LE ammo in 30-30 caliber. My .35 rem shoots so well with it, I thought I should try it in 30-30 to see how it does... just never got around to it. Anyway, a given rifle often prefers a certain brand ammo, or bullet, over another one, and best to buy a box of several and do a comparison test yourself... can be interesting, and fun to do as well.
Good luck to you...

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Others have posted good info on the different manufactures.. the big three Remington, Federal, Winchester all make outstanding 30-30 ammo... The corelockt stuff is probably the foundation of 30-30 it's just good stuff, and the standard from which the others are judged by.. and the others meet that standard making the 30-30 the great cartridge that it is today !!

As for your fouling I doubt changing manufactures will make any difference, and after 200 rounds it doesn't sound like it's causing any problem. I probably over clean my guns/bores, for hunting rifles (deer) I clean them using copper solvents, powder solvents, and foaming bore cleaners which removes all the copper, and powder fouling... All my deer hunting type rifles have left pretty grungy bore fouling in the way of copper, and powder fouling... again I clean it at the end of the year, and after sighting in before deer season clean it with just a mild solvent like Hoppes or similar... or even a dry patch/bore snake. It's more of an eyesore than a problem until probably 50 rounds or so. I know that's a vague answer...

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Don't forget PPU. Their .30-30 shoots very well in my rifles, and the brass is superb if you want to reload it later. Although is is less expensive than most US brands, it is by no means "cheaper". PPU has been loading ammo in Europe longer than a lot of US companies have been in existence.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts