Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,903 Posts
Never underestimate the awesome power of the 170 grain Remington 30-30 ammo. This is an example of what one round can do. It not only blew the tree in half, but started it burning! ;) Obviously, this ammo is for the hunter who wants his game killed, quartered and barbecued all at once!

I might be kidding... ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I currently own and shoot 4 model 336's in 30-30. Two have 20 inch bbls, one is a 16.5 inch trapper, then my favorite a 336A with 24 inch. I reload and have for 42 years. I did buy a selection of Factory ammo about 4 years ago and spent 4 hours testing them in each rifle. My results were.......

All 4 rifles shot the Federal Fusion 150 gr loads very well. About 1.5 inch 100 yd groups. Very nice Ammo.
Only 2 of my rifles shot the Hornady 160 gr FTX's well ( one of the 20 inch guns and the 24 inch rifle) the other 2 would spray a 5 -6 inch group at 100 yds.
ALL 4 gave mediocre results with the Winchester 150 gr and the Remington 150 gr coreloks. About 3 inch groups.
All 4 rifles shot the 170 gr Remington coreloks Acceptably, it varied by rifle but around 1.5 tp 2.5 inch groups.

Since I reload , my two basic 30-30 Cartridges I keep a good supply of are .............................
A factory equalivant , 160 gr Hornady FTX bullet with LeverEvolution powder. Great for more open country Deer, Pronghorn, Coyotes, small pigs. A good fit for the 24 inch barrel ....BC is highest at .330

Second load is a 170 gr Speer FN bullet with LeverEvolution powder. A better load for hunting in the Timber for Deer, Big pigs, Black Bear. I want the shorter 20 inch bbl in these situations. The BC on this bullet is .298 NOT BAD
For a 30-30

I am currently working on a Sierra Pro-Hunter, 180 gr RN load. I call it my THUMPER PROJECT. I wanted an extra heavy bullet with a high SD of .375 and BC of .240. This load should penetrate any Pig, Black Bear, Elk , truck ?? Barnes made a fantastic 190 gr. FN that use to fill this nitch for the 30-30 .....but I can't ever get them now.

Long winded ... I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
I have been hunting over here, small and big non-dangerous game, for more than 30 years with the 30-30.
Winchester 170 gr Power Points (Silver Tips originally) have never let me down and yielded spectacular results. So, if your intention is hunting, I will recommend these without any doubt whatsoever.
Recently I have managed to get some 160gr Hornady Leverevolution and these look very promising. My 30-30 which is fairly accurate performs superbly with these. I am yet to try them on any game, which will happen as soon as I have tried them on a carcass first. On the range however , they are very accurate and they trot along merrily at 2320 ft/sec. ☝

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Never underestimate the awesome power of the 170 grain Remington 30-30 ammo. This is an example of what one round can do. It not only blew the tree in half, but started it burning! ;) Obviously, this ammo is for the hunter who wants his game killed, quartered and barbecued all at once!
I place mine under a pyramid and play relaxation music for it for 30 days prior to hunting season. The relaxed zen ammo performs wonderfully - single hole at 200 yards, 3500 fps, and a BC of 0.009.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts

This was with a Federal premium loaded with the Barnes 150 grain all copper bullet. My daughter shot a pile of deer with Winchester 150 grain power points. Worked for me also a couple of times. Friend of mine used a 94 Winchester to shoot more deer than some of us have seen. He liked the 150 grain and claimed 26 straight one shot kills. His favorite brand was the Federal Blue Box. They performed ok and were the cheapest he could find. 30-30 seems to work well with most brands of bullets as to terminal performance. Premium bullets may have little gain in performance. I assume among M700's accessories is a good pair of tall boots.

DEP

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
"Barnes made a fantastic 190 gr. FN that use to fill this nitch for the 30-30 .....but I can't ever get them now."

So did Winchester. They make/made a 190 gr. Silvertip bullet for the .303 Savage. They refused to sell them to handloaders and they refused to load them in 30-30 ammo. I never figured that one out as the .303 Savage is nothing more than the 30-30 using a different cartridge case.

Gun writer Sam Fadala in his book on the 30-30 stated he has to but pricey .303 Savage ammo and pull the bullets to load in his 30-030. FWIW, the .303 Savage is supposed to do 1950 FPS with that Silvertip bullet. I cast the RCBS #30-180-FN gas check bullet and run it at 1950 FPS from a 20" Winchester M94 and it really thumps deer. I've taker 15 deer with the Lyman #311291 which weighs 175 gr. in my alloy and two with the RCBS bullet. Not much opportunity to use the 30-30 here where I live so my 30-30s now see more use as fun guns, mostly on paper.
Paul B.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Federal Blue box of your choice however most of my 3030 love 160 Hornady! My 35s all 200 hornady! Most DRT!

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
"Barnes made a fantastic 190 gr. FN that use to fill this nitch for the 30-30 .....but I can't ever get them now."

So did Winchester. They make/made a 190 gr. Silvertip bullet for the .303 Savage. They refused to sell them to handloaders and they refused to load them in 30-30 ammo. I never figured that one out as the .303 Savage is nothing more than the 30-30 using a different cartridge case.

Gun writer Sam Fadala in his book on the 30-30 stated he has to but pricey .303 Savage ammo and pull the bullets to load in his 30-030. FWIW, the .303 Savage is supposed to do 1950 FPS with that Silvertip bullet. I cast the RCBS #30-180-FN gas check bullet and run it at 1950 FPS from a 20" Winchester M94 and it really thumps deer. I've taker 15 deer with the Lyman #311291 which weighs 175 gr. in my alloy and two with the RCBS bullet. Not much opportunity to use the 30-30 here where I live so my 30-30s now see more use as fun guns, mostly on paper.
Paul B.
I also used a cast bullet in the 30-30. It weighed 188 grains with the alloy used and gas checked. Took a nice deer at 140 steps from my tree with it and the deer dropped very quickly, no tracking, large blood spray. Loaded to about the same levels as you did. I hardened the bullets in water and then placed the bases in a pan of water and annealed the noses with a torch. Wrecked a couple of bullets or so but only needed maybe 10 for hunting (actually fewer than that).
You could sight in and plink or whatever with the un annealed bullets. It was one of the better loads I tried on terminal performance, but I switched to a 35 Remington and have not bothered doing that again. Don't really know if they were that much better than 170 grain on deer. That RCBS flat nose 180 mold is very popular among 30-30 users.

DEP

·
Registered
389 Posts
I tend to stay away from the factory loads. I've had various performance from them, and I like the ability to tune the rounds to the hunting situation and my gun.

My 336A loves the 160 grain Hornady FTX over a full charge of LeveRevolution powder. If I'm hunting the cotton fields, I feel comfortable with taking 200-250 yard shots without worry. My brush gun Winchester 94 eats does well with a 170 grain True Shot hard cast gas checked pill over a charge of Accurate 5744.
Hi. With the True Shot, did you use book load data? If so, which book and bullet/weight?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
150 federal blue box did real well in my particular rifle. I played around and found a load that shoots on par. That being sierra 150 /W748

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi. With the True Shot, did you use book load data? If so, which book and bullet/weight?

Thank you.
I used the data from the Accurate Powder Loading Guide for the True Shot bullet. I'll have to dig out my reloading notes for my actual load. I want to say I was using 24 grains. Here's a snipping from the latest Accurate Powder Manual. The True Shot bullet is the bottom loading.

You can print out the latest version of the manual here.

WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB.pdf (ramshot.com)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I used the data from the Accurate Powder Loading Guide for the True Shot bullet. I'll have to dig out my reloading notes for my actual load. I want to say I was using 24 grains. Here's a snipping from the latest Accurate Powder Manual. The True Shot bullet is the bottom loading.

View attachment 839389

You can print out the latest version of the manual here.

WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB.pdf (ramshot.com)
That's great. I have a couple of their manuals.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Some have said they like Remington 170 grain Core-Lokt. With Ruger buying out Remington makes me wonder if they will continue to make that ammo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It seems the majority here prefer the 170 grain over the 150. Would the longer 170 gr stabilize better in the micro groove barrel therefore be more accurate?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts