Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
I know each gun is different, but if all things were considered equal, what factory 150 grain load would you buy...assuming you could of course

Time to start considering assembling equipment and supplies for reloading. They will return. Once you are in control, you can make any weight bullet shoot well in your rifle, 110 gr to 180 gr.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Whatever is on sale as my 336 ain't that picky. No steel case tho, too dirty.

Reactions: Sambane

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well as far as factory ammo, I used to have a 336 that would shoot 1"MOA at 100 yards with Remington 150 cor-locks. Winchester and Federal were in the 1.5 to 2" range, who knows why. That being said I still prefer the 170 grain slugs more but used the 150's for the accuracy. I now have dies and bullets in 150 and 170 . At some point I will get around to working them up.

·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
If you can get the components--start to reload your own. I don't worry about factory ammo availability anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Accuracy:
For 336s in .30-30 or .35 Rem, I have not seen any factory ammo that shoots with better accuracy than the Hornady LEVERevolution. In my current 336, it hovers right at 1 MOA at 100 yards (.35 Rem). Stupid accuracy for a 20 inch Micro-Groove barrel. But..... The FTX is a fragile bullet, best suited for whitetail and the like.

General (all-purpose) use in the woods:
Gotta agree with Core-Lokt. Cheap, consistent accuracy (albeit a little down from the LEVERevolutions). Just don't expect one-shot kills on a big black bear.

Black bear:
Get a heavy-for-caliber hotrod from Buffalo Bore. Expect the accuracy to slide out to 1.5 - 2 MOA, and the recoil to suddenly be noticeable. But also know that you can expect "Bang-Flop" from anything that you responsibly shoot at.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I bought my 30-30 back in the mid 90's. I wasn't reloading then, so I bought a couple boxes of 150gr Winchester ammo. They worked fine in both accuracy and performance, so I bought a few more boxes. Since I just hunt with it and not pleasure shoot, I still have about a box and a half left. When it runs out, I have brass, 150gr Speer HC and several powders to start with.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Buy the one that shoots the best.

This! You will have to try as many of the recommended choices listed that others have had good results with. As you've noted, two rifles of the same model can shoot differently with the same ammo. Just a trial and error thing most of the time. I've had good luck with Winchester Super-X 150 gr. Power Point. Good luck finding ammo to try!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I tend to stay away from the factory loads. I've had various performance from them, and I like the ability to tune the rounds to the hunting situation and my gun.

My 336A loves the 160 grain Hornady FTX over a full charge of LeveRevolution powder. If I'm hunting the cotton fields, I feel comfortable with taking 200-250 yard shots without worry. My brush gun Winchester 94 eats does well with a 170 grain True Shot hard cast gas checked pill over a charge of Accurate 5744.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I've never bothered with 150 gr. bullet loads in my 30-30s. Either Wincheter 170 goints of preferably my home cast 170 gr. bullets with a factorylevel load. Kill deer just fine.
Paul B.

Reactions: Sambane and M700

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
rcd567,
My JM prefers: Hornady Lever Revolution (160 grainer) first and then, Remington 170 grain over the 150 same. If you reload cast remember that Marlin microgroove is OK, you just have to size somewhat larger--mine likes .312+ (gas checks and lubed during sizing). Still scary accuracy from a levergun.

JX

1 - 20 of 41 Posts