Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any other semi auto pistols that are designed around the 45acp?

I know the Glock 36 is...but other than that I can't think of any modern pistols designed from the ground up to be a 45acp.

The Springfield XD was designed with the 45acp in mind, but built around the 40 S&W.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I'd think the S&W M&P 45 would count, although I'm not 100% on that. I guess the design was adapted. Maybe the S&W 845 and 945, although they sort of have some 9mm bloodlines in there somewhere. As does the Sig P220.

Definitely the CZ 97.

I don't think the Colt Double Eagle counts as a 1911, so that one, too ;D

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
miatakix said:
I'd think the S&W M&P 45 would count, although I'm not 100% on that.
I've been digging on that...but can't find anything certain...I'm guessing that it is probably the same as the XD though, the 45 was in mind...but the pistol was designed around 40 S&W (I could be wrong...that is just speculation)

CZ 97...I wasn't aware of that one.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
What about the Ruger P-97

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Actually I remember reading that the M&P was designed around .40, somewhere, when it first came out.

Joe, that P-97 is just a beefed up P-90, right, which was a 9mil?

Edited in a couple other possibilities into my previous post.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
My dad used to have one of these Colt Double Eagles:

No way you can call that thing a 1911 ;D

First autoloading pistol I ever shot. I missed paper on my entire first magazine.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
miatakix said:
Actually I remember reading that the M&P was designed around .40, somewhere, when it first came out.

Joe, that P-97 is just a beefed up P-90, right, which was a 9mil?

Edited in a couple other possibilities into my previous post.
Not sure, I did have a P-90 but did not like it and sold it before I had it for much time. I do have a P-97 and it seems different, I kind of like it but would rather have a 1911. ;D

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Sorry, I meant P85. I think the P90 was .45, too.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I think Massad Ayoob is on record as carrying and liking that Ruger, Joe ;D

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is just something I found curious...almost everything was designed around 9mm, now its the 40 S&W.

The old 45 is a great round that does its job nicely, yet so few attempt to build new guns based on it...

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I think I got another one:

HK45

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
miatakix said:
I figured the P90 was another adaptation...from the 9mm versions. (could be wrong)

EDIT: yep...the P85 came first, so the P90 is an adaptation (scaled up P89)

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Yeah.

I think that HK, if I'm remembering right, was actually designed for US military trials to replace the M9. I'm thinking the FNP-45 was built specifically for this same trial, too, and is ground up different from the FNP-9 and FNP-40, but I'm not 100% on the FN.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I almost forgot the Savage 1907 ;D

Not sure if it counts, though, since it never really did much.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
miatakix said:
Actually now that I think of it I think the one I got rid of was a P-92 but I'm not sure now. ???

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
miatakix said:
I almost forgot the Savage 1907 ;D
Wasn't there a smaller version of the 1907 (1903???) in a smaller caliber? I'm a little rusty on some of that stuff. I think the Savage 1907 was a scaled up version.

EDIT:

The 1907 was the .32 and .380 version... I do remember reading about the Savage .45 in G&A when I was a younger lad...

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Well, yes and no...the design was first adapted to the .45 as the 1907, then to the rat calibers as the 1907 "pocket pistol." But I imagine most of the info sources out there will only refer to the pocket pistols as they were the only ones that were a commercial success.

More info than you ever wanted to know about the Savage 45:

http://asoac.org/bulletins/96_brower_savage.pdf

The 45s were even sold commercially, although they didn't do much. The 32s and 380s did better. My grandparents have a 32. It's a fun little thing to shoot, points really well and fits my hand about as well as any pistol I've ever held. Unfortunately it has some issues with the hammer not staying cocked.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
miatakix said:
Well, yes and no...the design was first adapted to the .45 as the 1907, then to the rat calibers as the 1907 "pocket pistol." But I imagine most of the info sources out there will only refer to the pocket pistols as they were the only ones that were a commercial success.
That's interesting... first .45 and then reverse engineered for the baby rounds.

Sorry, I went to wikipedia for that info... ::)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts