Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had cartridge overall length issues shooting Berry's 350gr PFN in a 1895? I've searched the board but don't see the specific problem mentioned.

My reloads with Berry's 350 gr PFN have had problems chambering; most often embedding the bullet rather deeply into the rifling. Ejecting an unfired chambered round would strip the bullet from the case. This is with the case cut to Lee trimmer length (2.085"), and the bullet seated & crimped to the cannelure, for an overall case length of 2.550.

So today I took a sized & trimmed (2.085") case, and kept seating the bullet deeper while attempting to chamber the dummy round. Finally found success at a COAL of 2.490. I marked the case edge on the bullet; pulled it, and measured the distance on the bullet from the mark to the middle of the cannelure as 0.060" That means I should be trimming cases to 2.025"?? That seems rather drastic.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Every gun is a law unto itself. Though the guidelines specify your OAL should not be more than 2.55, there are some bullets that won't chamber at that length. You have to sink them in, and in this case, it would mean possibly not using that cannelure. Lee factory crimp dies work well in this manner, and a load will subsequently have to be decreased. My understanding is these bullets are pure lead with a copper wash. Hardly what I would think of as ideal for anything in this gun. The gun will do its best with lead bullets, but usually harder, and always sized bigger than the size put out by this company. When the cannelure isn't placed in the right area, it really leaves something to be desired. I like using Hornady, Remington, Speer etc., for jacketed, but prefer the lead sized .459 or .460 when plinking. They fit better. Remington's JSP 405gr. bullet does not have a cannelure, but can be dealt with using a Lee factory crimp die.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dr A. I've had very good success with factory Winch 300gr JHPs and Hornady Leverevolution, but am trying to avoid the leading problem I had with some PMC cowboy loads in my ported 1895 GG.

Trying to use the factory cannelure is what would drive the exensive cut-back. Or, at least I think it is rather aggressive to take 0.06" off of the recommended trim length.

Berrys are plated a bit thicker than most; one poster here mentioned 0.008"t. And Berry recommends using low to mid-range jacketed loads for equivalent weighted & shaped bullets.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I have only used them in my .38's and .357's but they have no cannalure and I still crimp them with the Lee FCD about 1/2 turn.

I would set them where I needed them and crimp them to see how they shoot before I trimmed brass. I think you would be fine with a good low range load and mild to medium crimp.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were those for an 1894?

I use Berry's .355 124gr RN, .312 DEWC & 71gr RN, and .429 200gr FPs. All are great bullets; I just want to learn how to use their 350 gr bullets in the 1895. At first, I thought the bullets were coming apart under recoil in the tube. So I heavily crimped the next 50 or so. Still had the problem of some bullets being very hard to chamber. But this last batch I fired single shot (new range, new rules), and the problem was still there. As you suggest, I'll try the LFC die (just got it) & seat past the cannelure.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
No, those were in revolvers.

Like I said, I would just seat them deep, say 2.485", and then crimp with a medium crimp on the Lee FCD and see how it does.

Keep us informed

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just mentioning: case length on a once-fired hornady leverevolution is 2.030; substantially shorter than the SAAMI max of 2.105 listed in the reloading books.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a Box of 350gr Berry's for Plinking and Cheap shooting. If i seat this Slugs to the Crimping Groove, there is no chance to Chamber that Round! Too long. I asket Berrys if they know that Problem. They means yes, the next Batch of 350 will have the Groove for the right length to shoot them in a Marlin 1895. Berry's told me to seat the Bullet deeper and crimp it then, the Bullet is mild enough. Works fine, but i just use the Berry's for reduced plinking Loads.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can work to that! :)

Edited to add:
62,0 mm = 2.440944882 inches; or 2.441
64,5 mm = 2.539370079 inches; or 2.539

At 62,0 mm yours are actually a bit shorter than the 2.490 inches (63,25 mm) I found to function in my 1895G (ported).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like Berry's is following through with what they told Swissarms; the cannelure is moved.
Number 2 and Number 4 from the left are the older bullet. No.s 1 & 3 arrived yesterday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts