Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we were in Colorado, I was getting erratic groupings with the spare Bushnells scopes I had on them, so a couple of weeks ago, I broke them out again and it was a repeat of Colorado. So I ordered two Hammer airgun scopes 3x9x32
So I installed them with different rings as the Benjamin Trails have std weaver bases made on the spring housing.

I got to say for scopes that were less then $60.00 each I was surprised at the clearness and rugged build. I sighted them in last week. This morning while it was cool out, my wife and I sat on the back patio and was playing with the Airguns. So far I'm very impressed with these scopes, it was not hard at all hitting a soup size can regularly at 75 yards
And we were killing a 5 hour energy bottle them same way at 65 yards. It took my Wiffie a little while to master the Spring Guns difference VS a powder burner, once she figured it out, she was hammering the targets!

I just hope they last, these Spring Guns are Scope killers!

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
That is interesting. What were the Bushnells that you had been using previously?

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought them almost twenty years ago, they are a 3x10x42, one of them was on my load work 444, and it worked great! They still may work on a powder burner, these spring air rifles are hard on scopes!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Spring guns "recoil" forward, few scopes are actually designed for use on spring guns. Scope failure on a springer, is not an indication of their fitness for powder guns.

Reactions: pokey

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had the same problem until I found out the same thing graymustang said. Most scopes are designed for recoil in the opposite direction of a powder gun. Usually results in a destroyed scope. Rws used to build some decent scopes. It's been a decade or so since I bought one though. I'd imagine there's better on the market now.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Starbow,
You should have sent the origional CenterPoint scope(s) back to Crosman, they are guaranteed. Mine was shifting point of impact ( think that was me ) and the power ring moved with every shot. They replaced the scope free (no problems with this one) and they included a new set of scope caps (I hadn't sent mine back) and scope mounts for a grooved receiver.
I THINK some of the point of impact shifting MAY have been due to a wrong setting of the adjustable objective.
Groups with my rifle continue to get better.

Hip

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Yep, the CenterPoint scopes that come with 'em are adequate. Nitro piston + .22 + CenterPoint bagged me a *lot* of tree rats last year.

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both of my center points was very, very erratic, these hammers are spot on!

·
Banned
120 Posts
Yeah the Centerpoint on my Crossman Nitro Venom Dusk 22 just bit the dust after 200 pellets. I went to shoot it and the crosshairs were canted to the right big time. Checked the scope and it hadn't moved. Not to mention I had to dial the front glass in for it to be clear at 9 power. I have been looking at the Hammer scopes and suppose I will give them a try. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
So far my Center Point 4x16x40 illuminated reticle scope on my Beeman has been excellent. Paid $69 for it at Wal-mart, & it has been dead on for over a 1000 rounds. The lighted reticle is excellent in low light conditions. I did have to buy a set of rings to fit the on the air riffle. So far 3 possums, 2 skunks, 1 ground hog, 2 raccoons. & 32 red squirrels. All 1 shot kills.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.