Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so I am interested in learning how to do my own reloads. Can anyone maybe help me determine a beginners list of items needed to get started? Thanks!!!

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
stonnar71 said:
Can anyone maybe help me determine a beginners list of items needed to get started?
That would depend on how many, & what calibers, how deep your pocket book is.
Do you have a man cave to set stuff up in, or do you want a portable set up?
Are you going to make a lot of normal grade cartridges, or do you want to make match grade rounds.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I ordered the Lee anniversary kit, Lee manual, 30-30 length gauge, die set, crimp die, and a reloading tray. I tried the powder measure kit but the powder measure is better. The scale checked out right on against a fancy digital scale at school. I am sure that there are fancier kits out there but this one works just fine. This site is also just like a huge online encyclopedia, I've spent many hours on here just reading, type about anything into the search box and you will usually find all you need to know.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Read that lee manual and you will answer alot of your own questions about reloading. I have alot of Lee equipment and really like it. I think you are on the right track don't hesitate to ask questions here. I will give one piece of advice that I know most here will agree with. As soon as you can afford it, buy another reloading manual or two for comparison of load info. This is very important. Nothing wrong with the Lee manual at all, you just need to be able to compare to insure the loads are correct.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've posted this before about 2005-2006 so relative prices will be different,but I believe I save about 40% over price of factory loads by reloading. I don't save any money because I shoot more ammo, but I sure learn a lot in the process. maybe it will give you an idea--

I’m sure I could have saved a few more dollars by continuing to comparison shop for brass and bullets. I bought everything except primers and powder from Internet retailers. However, I’ve found a local, independent gun shop that I like, so my costs might increase some for future purchases. The price is worth it for the advice and friendship of my local dealer. Also, I don’t have the delivery frustrations from my local guy that I do for any of the commercial services that come to my part of God’s country on schedules inconvenient to me.

Actual costs to get started reloading

Turnkey Lee Precision press & 2 manuals, etc. $139
1000 rds starline brass 120.89
500 Meister 250 gr. LRNFP 53.49
500 CCI large pistol primers 10.55
1 lb. Unique powder 23.76

Total expenses for first time reloading $347.69

Cost/round for 1st 1000 rounds

Ea piece of Brass .12
Ea bullet for 500 .11
1 lb. Powder to give 775 loads @ 8.5 grains/charge .03
ea primer for 500 .02

total cost/ round for first 500 .28

store bought rounds same general bullet & slightly lower charge .43

for next 5-8000 rounds w/o brass purchase,
each reload, if prices stay somewhat similar, will cost .16

rimrock

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have been reloading 30-30 bullets for the last couple of months. It is a blast - sorry really bad pun! I just finished reloading about 60 rounds and the cool thing is I am now dieing to go to the range tomorrow to empty out the brass, so I can reload them again.

I am not sure that I am saving any money, but I shoot at least twice a month now and I live in Michigan, where we still have 3 feet of snow on the ground. Don't know how many times I will actually go to the range when my fingers aren't freezing.

Enjoy the adventure!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I can't stress enough that one of your first purchases be a good manual or two (or three/you can't have too many). The Lee has already been mentioned, but you also can't go wrong with the Lyman manual in your library.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for all of the invaluable information! Man I am excited to get started very soon. Im glad I kept all my brass from the range. Im looking just to do reloads for my 30-06, nothing fancy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts