Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These LiL' Doosies are more or less a pastie, I'm not quite clear as to where they get their name from....and I'm not venturing a guess :wink:

My Buddy out in Wyoming sent it to me: :D

*** Beer Rocks ***

{ DOUGH }

Bring 2 cups water to boiling.

Pour over 2/3 cup potato flakes in large bowl. Stir until dissolved.

Add 2/4 cup sugar, 1 ½ tsp salt, 2/3 cup olive oil. Stir.

Then stir in 1 cup flour.

Add 2 eggs and stir well.

By this time it should be cooled to lukewarm.

Sprinkle 1 package yeast over this and stir until yeast dissolves.

Gradually add about 4 to 8 cups flour. Mix very well !!!

Put in lightly buttered (real) bowl and cover with saran wrap and put into refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours. [NOTE: I make dough the night before I want to make them.] The dough will rise to double in the refrigerator.

When ready to make beerrocks, let dough stand at room temperature for 1 hour.

Divide dough into three (3) parts. Roll out each part to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into four (4) inch squares approx. so each part of dough makes 12 squares each.

Divide the filling into three (3) parts and then into 1/12 to put into each square.

Bring the squares four (4) corners together and seal. Place sealed side down on a lightly greased baking sheet. Let rise 15 to 20 minutes. Brush with beaten egg.

Bake at 375 degrees for twenty (20) minutes or until golden brown. Makes three (3) dozen.

{ Filling }:

Three (3) pounds hamburger cooked and drained.
One (1) can 32 oz. Sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
Two (2) packets Lipton Onion soup mix.
Salt ‘n Pepper (if you want).

Cook meat { venison, beef, etc. }, drain off grease and add other ingredients.

PS ... freeze and taste like fresh out of the oven warmed up in the microwave.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet Sas, but I know my Buddy in Wyoming wouldn't steer me wrong, hasta be good. :D

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
CJ,

Pasties???

Dave :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

·
Hey CJ, I thought I had replied to this earlier, but apparently not...

I have tried these... I think the name changes a bit considering on where you were brought up. I have called the Bierocks. I have heard them called runza and I think pasties are more of a British concoctions.

The big difference that I have on my recipe is that I use cabbage before it ferments. After the meat is browned I will finely cut up a head of cabbage an cook it down - it actually shrinks to less than have the volume. (I dare you not to eat a healthy portion of the mix when you're done with that part - good stuff!) A trick my mother tought me to make them turn out perfect is to let the wrapped pre-cooked bierocks sit for a bit before you bake them. This will allow for somewhat of a 2nd rising of the dough and, believe me it's worth it. Be sure to put a slit down the middle of the dough before you bake it and spread with butter when you get it out of the oven.

Try using the same bread with different pizza topping - without the cabbage. Awesome pizza pockets. Don't forget the cheese.

These things are great hot, cold, and all in between. I think I will have to bake some up this weekend - you got me hungry for them.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VTDW..yessir Pasties are what they reminded me of..sorta like hot pockets.

Hey Sweetman..Thank You for the Great ideas..I bet we could get Mike243 to bake them for us at Squirrel Camp, we could help with throwing them together. :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LMAO..VTDW..we live in SOUTHERN lower Michigan...Mister may start talkin' with a slight draw if I show him that recipe. :wink:

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
When I read the post I thought, what the heck? I visualized CJ running around wearing pastry pasties. :lol: :lol: Then I saw that Sweetman uses them...Oh My!! :shock: Then CJ said they are kind of like hot pockets and I about died. :roll: I figured I just had to find a way to go to Shawnee next September and join that club they have up there just to find out how they attach those little things. :lol: :lol:

Did an internet search and found what pasties are in the North country. I am just a dumb old Okie I Know. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dave 8)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:shock: :? Eeeewwwweeee...STICKIEeeeeeeeee...okay that will never happen VTDW.. :D ....LMAO....but we would love to have you join us in Shawnee, your already part of the family, I'd say it's time you showed up for the fun and intoduced yourself in person.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
CJ,

If I land the contract I am bidding on right now I will be able to come to Shawnee. Can I hunt squacks with my 444? I figure that if I hit the branch they are on within 6" the concussion will knock em down and GJ can run and pick em up for me before they come to.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:shock: ...and they accuse me of gettin' into the cookin' sherry...LOL... :wink:

G

·
Hope you get the contract... we can't get enough at Shawnee. I've been the last two years and can't wait for the next one. Lots of good hunting, lots of good food and drink, and LOTS of good people.

Regarding the barking with a 444, that would be something to see. It's obvious that you haven't met GJ in person though because you mentioned him and running in the same sentence and that just aint right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts