Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found one.

Well, not exactly true... I passed one up 5 years back for @ $600, thought they were asking too much.

Not going to make that mistake again.

Here it is, S&W 27-2 5"

Damn near cherry. Only thing you could find fault with is a turn line, and personally I don't find fault with a turn line.

I've looked for one for so long, regretted passing up the last opportunity, now I did it.

It's getting tough to find these old pieces. In California - even harder. I probably paid too much, but I do not care. 27 in the hand is worth it. I did talk them down @ $100, got it into the realm of not too embarrassing.

It was in the shop less than 2 hours when I came upon it. I was the very first to see it. Bought on the spot.

I have to wait 30 days to pick it up. California has a 30 day hold on consignment guns - to make sure they aren't stolen... Uh huh.. suuure! More hurdles is all it is.

Anyway, it has the thin trigger and the thin hammer spur, no WO or RR, but the blue... OMG! Perfect.

I'm going to enjoy this, IMO the finest foot forward by S&W. This is the ultimate in quality and I am blessed to have found it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice piece. I went through the same type of thing with a beautiful little Browning BSS 20ga. Fell in love the first time I saw one but $400 at the time seemed liketoo much. Ended up paying $600 about 8 years later. Oh well, live and learn. Congrats. By the way my ex got my 27 in the divorce. :( (also many years ago)

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Been there...done that. More than once. In the most recent case it was a 4" 24-3 .44 Special. Passed up a few over the years as too expensive...and watched their continued meteoric rise with remorse. Finally bit the bullet and last fall bought a NIB example of the 2625 produced. It wasn't exactly inexpensive, but I did spend a few hundred less than I expected. No remorse now.

Enjoy that 5" 27...Skeeter is smiling.

Roe

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, when I get it I WILL enjoy it. It does not have RR, WO, TT or TH, it's baseline but it's 5" and it's LNIB but without the box.

Considering which grips for it. My standard is Hogue, wood, smooth finger and in this case with a butt cap to make it look real nice.

However

Ivory or something like ivory in something like targets with a coke shape...

Speaking of enjoying a revolver, looks like a couple really nice pieces in your pic! Something about a blue steel revolver with a 4" or shorter barrel whos caliber starts with a 4 is what I'd call just right!

·
Premium Member
16,809 Posts
Hey ST,

Great score! The 5" N frame is (IMO) the best "balanced" revolver made. And certainly very accurate!

That is a very fine example.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Wow! What a beauty!

Congratulations on your find. Gorgeous.....

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Wow, nice find. Too bad about the 30 day wait period. 30 days is beyond ridiculous!

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I know you're familiar with John (Kurac) Culina's work. That 27 would look, and feel, great with a set of his grips. I like the Hogue grips as well...they've always been a good fit with my hand size. John's smooth targets closely replicate the old "Cokes" and are a very nice fit for me as well.

Keith Brown, of course, would be another, but since Taffin did an article on his incredible grips in the latest American Handgunner, I'm sure his waiting list just doubled.

Then again, BluMagnum still makes a true copy of the original Skelton Grip. I've never tried one, but what would be more appropriate on a five inch 27?

Roe

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Yer killin me Roe!

Inevitably you are correct and I suppose my "confusion" was really a cry for help to push me over the edge - give myself permission if you will.

Kurac is going to get a call.

He has some really tasty wood, some of the burls and such.

I almost feel like the guy that says, "hold my beer and watch this..."

Kurac it is.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Another vote for Kurac. He'll sell you an unfinished set that you can do the final sanding on, it will save you a little money and if you want to modify them a bit you can do so. He sent me the grips and five pieces of sandpaper of the grades to use, I think it was 200 - 1,000. I never knew there was such a thing for wood as 1,000 grit paper. He's a great guy to work with. The grips are smooth as can be, look fabulous, but for shooting warmer loads in my .41 mag I like something with a bit of checkering, or combat style. But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
15,432 Posts
congrats
this is a true classic
it would look good with a set of Jordan Trooper grips from Herrett

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Snapping Twig, that is one beautiful revolver. Congratulaations. A lot of folks say that the 5" model 27 has the best balence of all of the N frames. I know I would love to find a shooter grade in 5", 4" or 3 1/2". I don't need one but I want one. I'm happy for you.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Congratulations, Snapping Twig!!! That is a great find. The only thing that would make that 27 look better is if it were in MY holster, on MY hip and loaded with MY handloads :biggrin:

Jack

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Snap, every time I see a new post from you I know it's going to be a dandy, and once again, you don't disappoint. A beautiful piece in one of the ultimate barrel lengths (the other being 3.5") and something you can always pull out of the safe, admire, and grin over your good fortune.

Well done, sir! Can't wait to see it with the Kuracs on it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many thanks for the kind words and helpful suggestions.

Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking, but I have to face the fact that I wasn't - thinking.

Can't wait to get it on the bench, clean it up and give it some oil, then a workout.

Oddly enough, I have Skeeter's favorite mould - Lyman 358156. I also have some old 2400 as well as a fairly good stock of W296 AND a Lyman 358429 mould.

If I set the 358429 back enough, I can use them in a 627-0 I have laying about.

Should work well in the 27. :)

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Beautiful pistol!!!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
"first to see it. Bought on the spot." = Wise man.

They don't make those any more, and people who have them are usually smart and appreciate them. Now is the only real time there is....
"Yesterday is history.... tomorrow's a mystery." Now is real. Good move.

And a sweet gun in great shape. I would have jumped on it too. Congratulations on a good score.

M

1 - 18 of 18 Posts