Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had loaded up several different loads to try out in my .35 and had a terrible time with FTF. This was only happening with my reloads so I figured it had to be a sizing issue. I shot a box of Hornady Leverevolution and Winchester PP plus a few Rem CL and all went off just fine but my reloads drove me nuts.:mad: I ended up making a brass bushing that I can insert my brass in and check the shoulder setback with a caliper and found that all the ones that did not fire were from .003 to .006 less(shorter) than the ones that did. I ended up unloading 10 rounds that were too short plus I have about 20 more sized that way. Now my question is -
How can I get the shoulder to fill out if I can't get them to fire form in my gun ? I have enough brass but hate to let these just sit and not be able to use them.

I removed the hammer spur, and shimmed the spring but they still would not fire. Also I am using Lee dies and have since adjusted the die to only size the neck and not move the shoulder back. The bolt and firing pin have been apart and cleaned so that is not the problem.

here is some of the rounds that did not fire. As you can see a couple are light but that one on the left looks like it should have fired.
At first I thought it might be the Winchester primers but I had it happen with a couple cci's also,.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Pull your failed to fire rounds down and reprime and reload them using a minimum charge of propellant. Leave the projectile seated out far enough to firmly engqage the rifling. Single load and fire the cartridges; the projectile will hold the case in place and the case will fire form with headspace set for your chamber. Recommend different dies.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'd do what Dan suggests, & since you have adjusted your dies to neck size, check & set them up to only size the length of the neck that the bullet is in.
When you do this after you get them to fire & resize them load them by hand into your chamber to check that the rifle will lock up, as the base might not be sized enough to fully chamber.
Good luck, let us know if this works.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Listen to Dan & Frank they are right.... But for the future you might want to get a Wilson headspace case gauge... It will eliminate the guess work if the case will chamber / fire or not. Drop a fired round in the gage and you will know what to set your dies at. My hunting rounds are even with the top of the gage to about 5 thousands over.. anything less than half way up on the gage may miss fire and that stuff gets shot at the range. Then once its fired in my gun it should be good to go.. BUT it gets checked in the gage every time to make sure. I have found several factory round that were border line as well.
Also you may want to get a lee collet neck sizer. I couldn't do without it... I have both sets of lee dies.. full and neck size...... I went through the same thing as you on ftf.. Some 35s are born with a larger than average chamber.. . This is a common issue it seems for reloads in the 35... but it is fixable..
One more thing.. make sure you don't get lube on the shoulder.. That will cause the shoulder to be pushed back more so..
Found that the hard way.. :tee:CWT

·
Registered
103 Posts
check the priming method. i had a problem like that a while ago and found case lube in the primer tray, from my fingers ill bet i forgot to wash my hands after case prep. just a thought

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm experiencing the same problem...

i'll disassemble & clean bolt w/ firing pin...

and add these tips to my search for 100% reliability...

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have a couple guns w/excess headspace that give fits w/win primers. but both guns NEVER have a problem w/fed 210s. i bet you wont either!

·
Registered
224 Posts
thanks kraky... just so happens i was using Win primers.

i'll be trying the Fed 210.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts