Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it’s been a long time since I’ve bought a Marlin but pulled off a double yesterday. A older gentleman I know asked me if I was interested in some old rifles a woman had that were her deceased husband’s. He said there was a shotgun and marlin 30-30. I really need another marlin 336 in 30-30 like a hole in my head but I figured it was worth looking just in case it was a unicorn. When I showed up they told me they had found another marlin 22. I was hoping it would be 39a as I’ve not been able to pin one down. The shotgun was an immaculate Remington 48 12 ga. I doubt it had ever been fired and they definitely wanted every bit of her worth. I don’t really use shotguns so I passed. On to the Marlins.... out of an old case pops out a 1953 39A. Probably the man’s childhood rifle. It was pretty beat up but mostly on the stock. The action felt tight and a little gritty but I knew I wanted it. His name is written into the buttstock which might have been for school use. The 336 was a 1965 RC in immaculate condition. Not a single ding in any of the wood and zero pitting or rust. I really just wanted the 39A and honestly she is rode hard and put away wet but I figured I can get it back to being a pretty nice rifle. The woman estimated that neither had been out of the closet in 30 years. The man assisting with the sale had done his research and possibly even here. I just wanted the 39 but he said they would give me a better price if I bought two. I didn’t steal them by any means and I’m not even sure what the RC would be worth but this one is very nice for its age. So I bought both rifles. Brought them home and cleaned them up. The 39a is still rough and today I intend to completely disassemble and clean everything. Seems like some grease was used inside and she is pretty grimy. I got a lot of it out yesterday but it was getting dark and I am not super familiar with the 39. I cycled a mag tube through it and it runs flawlessly. I’ll probably be looking to thin the herd a bit here shortly but these two are probably going to stay. SOrry for the poor photos. Not sure why they look so badly but I’ll take some out in the sunlight later. Gun Firearm Shotgun Air gun Trigger
Air gun
Gun Shotgun Gun accessory Trigger
Revolver Leather Handgun holster
Gun Firearm Shotgun Trigger Revolver

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This my first post in several years. I'm sorry that I've been wayward but i had good reasons.....

I love it when you can find a new (to you) Marlin or two! I knew that I needed to refrain from looking too hard at this forum.... HAHA! What do they say... The Wages of Sin....

Well, I think I have bought four Marlins in the last month myself. Yeah, a month is about how long I have been lurking here. Two of mine are 336's in 35 Remington. One is a Golden 39A Mountie, and the last is my Holy Grail, a Model 1895 Cowboy in 45-70. I don't have pictures yet but I will take some soon.

Hey! It's great to be HOME!

Ron

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
This my first post in several years. I'm sorry that I've been wayward but i had good reasons.....

I love it when you can find a new (to you) Marlin or two! I knew that I needed to refrain from looking too hard at this forum.... HAHA! What do they say... The Wages of Sin....

Well, I think I have bought four Marlins in the last month myself. Yeah, a month is about how long I have been lurking here. Two of mine are 336's in 35 Remington. One is a Golden 39A Mountie, and the last is my Holy Grail, a Model 1895 Cowboy in 45-70. I don't have pictures yet but I will take some soon.

Hey! It's great to be HOME!

Ron
Welcome back, good to have ya, nice Marlins, thanks for the pictures........:top:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Well it’s been a long time since I’ve bought a Marlin but pulled off a double yesterday. A older gentleman I know asked me if I was interested in some old rifles a woman had that were her deceased husband’s. He said there was a shotgun and marlin 30-30. I really need another marlin 336 in 30-30 like a hole in my head but I figured it was worth looking just in case it was a unicorn. When I showed up they told me they had found another marlin 22. I was hoping it would be 39a as I’ve not been able to pin one down. The shotgun was an immaculate Remington 48 12 ga. I doubt it had ever been fired and they definitely wanted every bit of her worth. I don’t really use shotguns so I passed. On to the Marlins.... out of an old case pops out a 1953 39A. Probably the man’s childhood rifle. It was pretty beat up but mostly on the stock. The action felt tight and a little gritty but I knew I wanted it. His name is written into the buttstock which might have been for school use. The 336 was a 1965 RC in immaculate condition. Not a single ding in any of the wood and zero pitting or rust. I really just wanted the 39A and honestly she is rode hard and put away wet but I figured I can get it back to being a pretty nice rifle. The woman estimated that neither had been out of the closet in 30 years. The man assisting with the sale had done his research and possibly even here. I just wanted the 39 but he said they would give me a better price if I bought two. I didn’t steal them by any means and I’m not even sure what the RC would be worth but this one is very nice for its age. So I bought both rifles. Brought them home and cleaned them up. The 39a is still rough and today I intend to completely disassemble and clean everything. Seems like some grease was used inside and she is pretty grimy. I got a lot of it out yesterday but it was getting dark and I am not super familiar with the 39. I cycled a mag tube through it and it runs flawlessly. I’ll probably be looking to thin the herd a bit here shortly but these two are probably going to stay. SOrry for the poor photos. Not sure why they look so badly but I’ll take some out in the sunlight later. View attachment 704497 View attachment 704505 View attachment 704513 View attachment 704521 View attachment 704537
You did good you lucky feller, thanks for the pictures........

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Nice snag on 2 good shooters! 50's & 60's are some of my favorite Marlins. Hope you get the 39 slicked up & running good.

For your best pics, outside with indirect sunlight. "Made in the shade". :top: Regular indoor lighting is not good & the direct sun shows glare & dust can look like freckling.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.