Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I searched online and all over this forum and didn't find anyone who posted about this yet. Are some of you who have purchased the XS lever rail having to bed it to the receiver? If so, is the process the same as with, say, a Remington 700 bedding procedure?

I noticed today when installing my rail that it does not sit flush. I don't know enough about precision shooting to know whether this will cause accuracy problems at the normal range is a 30-30 is used for.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419110817.913692.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419110827.248725.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I haven't done it to any of the one's I've put on my rifles. But am interested in seeing what others have to say because the one I put on my 338MXLR is kinda like that and my rifle will shoot one inch two shot groups then the 3red shot will be 1/4 inch to 1/2 high.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The way to mount the rail is to snug up the receiver mount screws first. Then screw up the jack screw until it contacts the rail. Looks like you have done it the opposite.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The way to mount the rail is to snug up the receiver mount screws first. Then screw up the jack screw until it contacts the rail. Looks like you have done it the opposite.
Thanks for responding. I tried it both ways. The gap photographed better this way.

Why would the order matter? If it's not flat, it's going to bend. That's bad.

Can you unpack what you meant about the jack screw? I don't understand what you mean when you say let that skinny screw contact the rail.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think that you're supposed to unscrew the jack screw that goes into the dovetail slot so the rail sits level. At least that's what I understand. Will be installing my first one this Friday or Saturday.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mine has a screw in one of the rear scope base holes and two screws in the two front scope base holes and the has the dovetail stud out front. It doesn't appear yours has a screw in either of the two scope base holes near the hammer.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
XS does have a rail made for the 336 in .35; Item # ML-1006-5. So, if you have the one made for the 336 in .30-30; Item # ML-1002-5, as ShortStroke suggested that may be the problem.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
And I am pretty sure the 35 uses a different front sight too.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
XS has excellent customer service.
Give them a call.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called XS today and spoke to William. He said this is normal. His recommendation was that I torque down the 5 screws in the same rotation, like lug nuts on a tire. So the opposite of what @packard suggested on Page 1.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
XS does have a rail made for the 336 in .35; Item # ML-1006-5. So, if you have the one made for the 336 in .30-30; Item # ML-1002-5, as ShortStroke suggested that may be the problem.
The only difference between the two models is the height of the front sight. This is per William at XS. Anyway, I'm using a .30-30 rail on a .30-30 gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts