Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, I'm the new guy here. I have been reading the past threads and learning a lot. Now I have a question I hope someone will be kind enough to help with.

I just got a new 980V and am working it over. I've ordered the RB trigger and while I wait for it I want to tackle bedding the action. I want to use Marine-tex because I think the synthetic stock needs a lot of buildup around the front lug and especially under the rear screw. The Marine-tex product says it will adhere to "most plastics" but not polyethelene or polypropelene. So, my question is, has anyone used Marine-tex on the Marlin synthetic stock and did it adhere well. The Marlin site says the stock is fiberglass filled synthetic, but I don't really think the stock is true fiberglass resin. Or is it?

Any other bedding tips are welcome too. How about the front barrel lug. I'm thinking I would like to secure it in the dovetail, either by staking it or epoxy. Good or bad idea?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Bill - I haven't messed with any of the Marlin synthetic stocks, but from your description, they sound alot like the early Remington synthetics. They are a polypropeline type stock reinforced with fiberglass "strands". I also haven't messed with Marine-Tex, but I have used a bunch of Brownell's Acra-Glas steelbed......Great stuff - BUT won't stick to the plastic stocks. If you hog out stock material in such a way as to create a mechanical lock to hold the bedding in, it works ok. Had a synthetic stock (I forget the manufacturer) that was so flimsy, we bedded a steel tube in the forearm just for strangth. PITA!

Hope this helps a little.

Shum8

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, the stock is pretty flimsy. You would never confuse it with a Brown Precision. There is very little to bridge across the inletting. There is some bridging at the front lug, but none at all across the rear screw area so tightening that screw just wedges the stock sides apart. I want to build up both areas a lot. I have never used Marine-tex either but I'm choosing it because it is putty-like and I can build up bridging. It would take 2 or 3 acraglas kits to do it - doesn't seem like the right application. I have always preferred Micro-bed over acraglas but both have worked well for me on wood and fiberglass.

I will undercut the stock to interlock the Marine-tex and rough up the surface as well. I might try just a dab on the stock first to see if it wants to bond.

Thanks for your input,

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Keep us informed - I'm curious to see how it works out.....

Shum8

·
Registered
5 Posts
bedding plastic stock

don't know if you have heard of this, but i use the insulation foam in a can that is expanding, but not the high expanding, let it fill the stock pores, holes, etc. then i trim off excess, and use epoxy 50/50 kind to bed. it can be tedious, if you over foam, let it fill up don't put too much in the holes. or you could end up with a foam ball with a gunstock imbedded in it. but it makes the stock stiffer and will take 50/50 epoxy bedding just fine. good luck in any way you choose, and, yes, we want pics if possible we need to learn also.sorry, for late post, been busy with the other things in life.

·
Registered
651 Posts
This stuff works great for filling big voids when bedding. Make the area really rough to give it plenty of tooth to grip. I use a chisel

http://www.jbweld.net/products/jbstik.php

Its also cheap and easy to find. I have used it for bedding the rear of a couple plastic stocks. Worked great. I like using a thinner bodied (less viscous) material for the recoil lug, but this stuff would probably work for that too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts