Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like I have ran across something about using this. Could somebody elaborate on the process? This is only used as a stock finish, right?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah....
Nothing like a hard, abrasive, sharp, rough finish against my face when shooting...
Maybe you could screw some sheet metal screws into the stock for an "extra grip" cheek weld...
:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Troy.

·
Administrator
30,583 Posts
Every time I see them Troy I drool all over myself.

I'm definitely going to get a couple SS Marlins and do the Truck Bed Liner finish on the stocks. They will be my all weather hunters. :biggrin:

Jack

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Dog gone t - Roy that looks good. Did you sand them any after applying the bed liner spray. Like I said that really looks good.

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I did it myself with rustoleum spray on truckbed liner. Pretty easy stuff to work with.
I gotta get me some of that! Looks good! :congrats:

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks very nice, Troy. I can't even see the sheet metal screws!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Very nice T-Roy, really. It must take a Marine to have the courage to paint over walnut :biggrin: Man I couldn't do it. Birch, no problem, but I likes my wood. All kidding aside, and a little off track; they make that stuff in other colors?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
The possibilities of a different Glenfield for each season:hmmmm: white for winter, green for summer, tan for fall and spider webbing to boot! I just might get some new birthday presents thought up for kids. How hard is it to remove the liner if ya want to go back to wood??? DP

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Banned
556 Posts
The SS and walnut isn't an all weather gun? The only thing I've noticed is the wood starts taking on a deeper tone over the years of exposure. I'm not knocking the job, it looks pretty neat but whats wrong with a little nick and darker wood? I've yet to have one split that wasn't slammed or a bad wood selection from the factory that should've been a reject.

I'm just saying, I see no need to do it for weather ability and some of mine are soaked twenty plus days a year.

·
Premium Member
12,015 Posts
I did one about 6-7 years ago, to make a poor quality Birch stock tradeable on a 336/30-30 that i picked up in a swap...........It came out so nice, I almost kept it for myself..............

Bedliner produces a great weatherproof no slip finish........I used the Grey color to contrast with the bluing.

Tom

·
Banned
556 Posts
Are Y'all spraying the inside and receiver end, how well does it fit back on the gun if you do? If you aren't, are you caulking along the barrel with silicon?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
You obviously dont have any actual experience with it. If you did, you'd know that the finish isn't rough, sharp, or abrasive. The spray-on stuff just gives a nice texture to the stocks and makes them impervious to the weather. It's a great solution to ugly/scratched up furniture on a rifle.

Here are a couple of them that I have done. A 336ss and a 1894ss.

View attachment 102232 View attachment 102233 View attachment 102235 View attachment 102236 View attachment 102237

Nice!!!

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Once in a while you run into a nice Marlin with an overly sanded stock with wood too small to meet the metal. Do a good filler job and apply the truck bed liner, if you like the look (I do) it is a good way to get a nice Marlin at a cheaper price for your favorite truck gun.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I got a really beat up 870 years ago for a slug gun. I sanded the stock and sprayed it with bedliner from a rattle can. It looks like a really good synthetic stock.

You can vary the texture by changing the distance from the can to the stock while spraying. Buy 2 cans and practice on a board and you can get it exactly like you want it. You can even vary the texture for more grip where you want it.

·
Banned
556 Posts
The SS and walnut isn't an all weather gun? The only thing I've noticed is the wood starts taking on a deeper tone over the years of exposure. I'm not knocking the job, it looks pretty neat but whats wrong with a little nick and darker wood? I've yet to have one split that wasn't slammed or a bad wood selection from the factory that should've been a reject.

I'm just saying, I see no need to do it for weather ability and some of mine are soaked twenty plus days a year.

Are Y'all spraying the inside and receiver end, how well does it fit back on the gun if you do? If you aren't, are you caulking along the barrel with silicon?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.