Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite LGS had a new stainless 336 in 30-30 the other day sitting right next to a Henry H009. Although the Henry had prettier walnut, the Marlin was really sharp. If this is an example of what people were talking about who saw the rifles Marlin brought with them to Shot Show, it maybe that Remlin rants will soon become a thing of the past. I looked it over closely, and I couldn't find a thing wrong with it (save for the price, which I believe was around $650 :().

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
That's good to hear ditto_One can only hope that the rants will become a thing of the past. I too have seen some nice remlin's lately.
JB

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, all that matters is your happy.

Reactions: jbaker30

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
well. sounds like they got 1/3 of the gun right on this one. Now all you have to worry about is it it shoots accurately and functions correctly. Unfortunately, you can't tell that from looking at it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
my LGS has the same model 336 SS 30-30 for similiar price..if it had been a 357 I would have snatched it up..they do have a Winchester 357..but the sticker shock is holding me back, $1100, and its made in Japan (although I have heard only good things about the quality)..and then they also have several Rossi 357's, one in SS for about $550..still searching for that JM 357..prices for them I have seen online are sky high..
My dilemma...I really want the Marlin, but can't find one, even used..the Rossi is there, lots of folks say you can clean them up, Winchester, do you get what you pay for? I would rather have a side eject (Marlin, Henry) than a top eject (Rossi, Winchester)

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the rifle was in a store, so no, I have not fired it. The wood to metal fit was excellent, the sights were on straight and the action was smooth and trigger seemed fine. I didn't shine a light down the bore, or anything. Short of cycling ammo through it, and actually shooting it, I don't imagine there's a real lot more you can do with it in the store.

I know a lot of folks are skeptical, but I call em as I see em. I've got no reason to make anything up. And God knows I've seen some stinkers in stores. About a year or so ago, a Walmart I was at had two 336W's, and they were horrible. I mean, embarrassingly so.

·
Registered
50 Posts
when you say wood to metal fit are you talking about the wood stock fitting tightly up against the receiver or are you talking about the wood stock fitting flush with the profile of all the metal surfaces it comes in contact with? I am looking at the new Marlin 336 30-30 and although the stock seems to butt tight up against the metal it doesn't follow the contour..like when you run your finger from metal to wood the transition is not smooth, the wood always seems like it needs to be sanded down flush

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just looked at a 336 SS 30-30 at a local Gander Mountain. The front sight was slightly canted to the left and the stock was a little loose. It was Ilion, NY marked on the barrel. It is shame, it could have been a pretty nice rifle.

·
Super Moderator
24,949 Posts
I saw a nice 336SS at my LGS last December before going overseas. The sole problem was the front sight was canted to the right of center--one of the Remlin QC/QA issues that have been noted for the past three years or so. Other than that--the rest of the rifle was fine. I think the asking price was 615 bucks--if I remember right--but I have CRS! :vollkommenauf:

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
my LGS has the same model 336 SS 30-30 for similiar price..if it had been a 357 I would have snatched it up..they do have a Winchester 357..but the sticker shock is holding me back, $1100, and its made in Japan (although I have heard only good things about the quality)..and then they also have several Rossi 357's, one in SS for about $550..still searching for that JM 357..prices for them I have seen online are sky high..
My dilemma...I really want the Marlin, but can't find one, even used..the Rossi is there, lots of folks say you can clean them up, Winchester, do you get what you pay for? I would rather have a side eject (Marlin, Henry) than a top eject (Rossi, Winchester)
Several yrs ago I had a ROSSI saddle carbine in 357, it shot well no ftf,fte, with 38 or 357, not as pretty but still a good shooter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Between my friends/family and I,I have handled a lot of remlins.They have all shot good,function well but had ok to good(not great) wood.I read this a couple of weeks ago and after handling a nice new production xlr,I ordered a 336ss.I recieved it today.The serial number ended with "D",so its 2014 product?? The letters on the left side of the barrel could not be made out.The wood fit was ok at the reciever.Not good at top tang,very bad at bottom tang.The stock finish was not great.The worst part:It looked liked someone took a Die grinder to the reciver below the hammer.Large metal pieces everywhere.This was the worst marlin I ever held.Shipped it back tonight.Hopefully someday I'll get a great looking ss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts