Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been loading some of the 525 pile drivers and recently bought some of the 425 pile drivers those of you that are shooting both how much if any are you loads differing? I have been using starline brass [email protected] grains and federal large rifle magnum primers. On BTB website they list there load data for the 525 at 41grains of H-322 so that is what I have been going off of but see a lot of guy on MO posting that they are using around 45-50 grains of H-322 in both the 425 and 525 pile drivers. The ones I’m loading are not that bad for recoil and could stand to be a little more I’m just wanting to see what others are experiencing and what they have found to work best for both the 425 and 525 I’m not set on the federal primers its just what I had but have a lot of H-322 so I would prefer to stay with that powder for my loads.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sidewinder,
On the advice of Marshal Stanton (Beartoot's CEO) I am using 525 grain Piledrivers pushed by 24 grains of Alliant 2400 powder. I am using Remington cases and Winchester large rifle primers. I am going to Alaska this summer and these are for big bears. Marshal related that one of his clients used this combination on Cape Buffalo. There is a bit of recoil, but any time you are moving 525 grains, you should expect that (was it Newton that said that for any action, there is an equal and opposite reaction). I have not loaded any other Piledriver weights, so can't help you there.
Bruce Lutz

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have been using 50grs H322 under my 425's with Fed Brass and WLR primers in a STBL. Recoil is stout, I have some loaded with 46grs that I will be trying next. I am turning to the camp that believes you don't have to max em out to get the job done, just let the long, driving weight of the bullet at moderate velocities do its job.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to work up sum more loads and was wanting to make sure I was thinking correctly on what I should be using with the 425. The 525 I loaded up don’t really kick at all but they are a pleasant push for recoil I’m with you Digger on not loading them up where they hurt and with that heavy of a bullet the still seam to penetrate very well, I probably will not consistently load them real heavy I’m just wanting to see if there is that much benefit in doing so. Even though the grizzly around this are not nearly as big as the ones up in AK they still seem to like to snack on our calves this time of the year and not that un common to have them literally on our back deck its always nice to have the trustee guide gun handy with some loads I can rely on but in reality out of all the bears I have been around since I was a kid I have never once had to actually shoot one or have even shouldered a weapon at one.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Marshall told me his go-to load for the 425 is 50 gr H322. I use this load with Winchester brass and primers. I tried all three of the loads he gave me (47, 50, 53) and couldn't tell much difference between them so I settled on Marshall's favorite. Concerning the 525, I just don't see how using more powder is going to help all that much. It's a pumpkin and won't be a flat shooter so why punish the gun? I use 40 gr 3031 with Winchester brass and primers. Guaranteed to stop anything including a stampeding herd of engine blocks. ;D

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hey Kris, I loaded a few 425 Pildrivers with 45 gr H322, starline, Wlr. They chronographed 1650 fps from a 18 1/2 LTD III. I got 3 shot groups at 50 with williams receiver sight and dot front sight of 3.1, 1.6 and 2.7".

I also loaded some with 45 gr IMR 3031, starline, WLR, and out of the 18 1/2" LTD III they Chronographed 1595 fps, at 50 yrds the 3 shot groups were 1.2, 0.9, 1.2".

I haven't messed with the pile drivers and H322 a lot but I bet you can come up with a load that shoots pretty good, the 45 gr load above came highly recommended for accuracy, and at 1600 fps should go through a mooseelkgriz ok.

james

BTW the brass followers are still working perfectly!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys….. I’m going to try some loads tonight and if I’m reading correctly it looks like most are using the same load for the 425 as they are for the 525? I think I’m going to load up both tonight and planning on starting with 45grains of H322 for both the 425 and 525 and will see how they do, I’m going to load up 20 each just to have on hand but will probably load the rest at around 40 grains just so I’m not beating my self up every time I go shoot.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Cody,

I do not use the Beartooth bullets, rather casting my own and finding a 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast at 1650fps to be nothing short of awesome.

With a well placed shot, deer are a bang flop and elk are down faster then it takes to tell about it.

This load/bullet will take anything that walks North American!

I understand that you have a supply of H322, but rifles being what rifles are, a rule unto themselves, you may find that your rifle prefers another powder. This is NOT saying that H322 is a bad choice!

My load behind the 465gr WFN is 47.5gr. of H335.

The piledrivers are not that different then my WFN cast bullets, just a bit different in weight but both with the large and VERY effective meplat

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Cody,

I do not use the Beartooth bullets, rather casting my own and finding a 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast at 1650fps to be nothing short of awesome.

With a well placed shot, deer are a bang flop and elk are down faster then it takes to tell about it.

This load/bullet will take anything that walks North American!

I understand that you have a supply of H322, but rifles being what rifles are, a rule unto themselves, you may find that your rifle prefers another powder. This is NOT saying that H322 is a bad choice!

My load behind the 465gr WFN is 47.5gr. of H335.

The piledrivers are not that different then my WFN cast bullets, just a bit different in weight but both with the large and VERY effective meplat

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
:dito: Listen to what Crusty says. Pushing that bullet to its max will lose its maximum effectiveness. With that much lead you only need to push it between 1500 and 1700fps. Find the most accurate load between that range and it will pass through and kill anything you can come across. Let us know what you work up.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have had great results with two powders and the Piledriver Jr.

Starline Case, CCI 200 primer, 42 grains H4198 nets 1650 fps. This is the most accurate load in my rifle.

Same components but substituting 50 grains H322 for H4198, velocity is mid-upper 1700s, at what I consider the upper end of the usable velocity window. Accurate, recoil getting noticeable.

At 47 grains H322, velocity is slightly faster than the H4198 load and about as accurate. The burn is slightly dirtier

I have also tried powders in the 4895 burn-rate, had great results, but just felt the best uniformity was with either H4198 (first choice) or H322 at a velocity near 1650 fps. When pushing faster, or using the Piledriver, H322 is my choice.

All bullets are sized .460".

·
Registered
719 Posts
Anyone use the 525 grainers much? More seem to be leaning toward the 425's in the marlin 1895?
I read somewhere that Marshall said that his 425 PD (and even the 350 PD) would literally pass through any animal in N America. With that being said, I doubt there is much "need" for a 525gr HC bullet. Although, what does "need" have to do with this sport? :)

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Almost always pass clear through should be the key words.

The before after with a 465gr, 100yds and 1650fps is one that didn't make it all the way through.

Quartering shot on a big cow elk and that 465gr took out some big bone and did a LOT of hard work and traveled a long ways before stopping.

End result 327.9gr.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Product

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Charlie, I'd guess about 30 - 36" and much of that after it lost the weight on that big shoulder bone.

Through that shoulder bone, a rib, through the lungs, a big/heavy paunch and of course some guts before stopping just under the hide in front of the off side hind ham.

Took another big cow in the same spot the next year with a side to side shot and of course, the bullet never stopped until hitting the bank behind the critter.

If this bullet would have had just a bit easier going, just a tiny bit, it would never have been found.

CDOC

·
Registered
205 Posts
I tried Marshall's suggested load of 50 gr. of H-322. The recoil was pretty severe, I reduced the load to 46 gr. The recoil was more manageable. The rifle is a Marlin 1895SS with Micro-Groove rifling. The 46 gr. load was very accurate. I have not chronographed it yet, but will when the weather turns. The load consisted of the 425 gr. Pile Driver (actually weighed on an electronic scale averaged about 432 gr.), Starline brass, WW large rifle primers and the aforementioned 425 gr. Pile Driver. IO am settling on this load as my primary hunting load for big game.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.