Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, my order of Beartooth Bullets got here. So with a few days off work, I just might jump in and load some healthy rounds for the big rifle. These have gas checks on them, too so I can't see any problem whatsoever with my upcoming loads.

image.jpg

Ron

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
man don't they look like fun......................watermelons are now in the stores and they sure are entertaining when you hit them with big bullets like that....................

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I shoot and hunt with a bullet about midway between the two you show. 465gr Wide Flat Nose.

1650fps is awesome on deer and elk!

That WFN really gets er done!

In fact, as shown with I first began hunting with a 355gr at 2300fps the higher velocities can be overly destructive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are good look'in boolits! Thanks for sharing.

CDOC

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess I got a little bit ahead of myself. My reloading press broke a handle this morning......... Looks like I'm out of order for a few days. But it certainly earned its keep. I've been wanting a new one anyhow.

Ron

·
Registered
673 Posts
My Beartooth bullets, at least some of them, came in last week. Mine are not as big as yours. I settle on the 405 grain gas check. I had been running them about 1400 fps, but plan to add another 100 fps with this batch, assuming they shoot OK like that. Beartooth still owes me some 44 Mags. The ones that came in were ordered in January.

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I should have the very same order arrive soon.

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
56 Posts
When did you guys order your Beartooth bullets? I'm waiting on an order, too.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine were ordered on December 29th.

Ron

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Hey CDOC would you care to share your load data with me for the 465gr bullets you are getting 1650fps with - I'm hoping to get close to this speed with my own 475gr bullets and need some reference loads to try and figure out a starting point. Many thanks Pete

I shoot and hunt with a bullet about midway between the two you show. 465gr Wide Flat Nose.

1650fps is awesome on deer and elk!

That WFN really gets er done!

In fact, as shown with I first began hunting with a 355gr at 2300fps the higher velocities can be overly destructive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are good look'in boolits! Thanks for sharing.

CDOC

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
JonnyV.

The Herters press I had YEARS ago had a handle likely half the size of the one on my RCBS RockChucker and it snapped off right at the connection to the press. Father-in-law had a friend in the shops at WSU (Washington State University) get me back in operation. As said many years ago. This Was my first press and it wasn't long until I upgraded to much better dies and press.

Bwanapete,

My load of choice after testing a number of other powders is 47.5gr. of H335. You don't see much said about that powder in the 45/70, but that load and powder came at the recommendation of my mold maker and he was right on even to the number of grains.

Because I had some folk tell me that H335 would give hang fires in cold temps, I did a frozen ammo test with the H335 and experienced no problems. Group close to the size shot with non-frozen ammo, and only a slight drop in velocity. So, I have stayed with that powder to this point.

Haven't got a 4 years old on hand to help me post images to the forum, but can get then sent to a personal "E" address if that is any help.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 15 of 15 Posts