Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a small test group of the Beartooth 525gr Pile-Drivers today. I am working up slowly from a reduced load listed on their site. All I can say is wow. On a few of the loads I was able to group this monster bullet at 1.5" at 200 yards. I will have to load some more and go test again to make sure I was not just lucky. These 45 caliber missiles are not affected by crosswind very much at all. I also put a few into the burm at 100 yards to see the crater and I mean crater!

Great fun, accurate bullets, thanks Beartooth!

·
Registered
930 Posts
What load are you using?

Reactions: cthulhufan

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am shooting these out of an SBL with a 18.5" barrel. I hand trickle each load very carefully. OAL 2.545. Also my crimp is just over 1/4 turn crimp :

525gr Pile-Driver bullet
Win LR primer
Mixed cases, Starline, Rem, Win, No Hornady
H322 Powder in charges of 39, 39.5, 40, 40.5, 41

Today the best grouping was from the 40 and 40.5 gr charge.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
SteedGunI got over 300 500gr Oregon Lazer cast (they were discontinued):(.... When I go through them I will try the 525's.

Did you notice any difference in POI between Case brands:hmmmm:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SteedGunI got over 300 500gr Oregon Lazer cast (they were discontinued):(.... When I go through them I will try the 525's.

Did you notice any difference in POI between Case brands:hmmmm:
Not yet. Each string of five had random cases however all used Win LR primers. My next test I want to run them over my Chrono and put up two sets of five per charge. One with Starline brass and the second with R-P brass. I actually was not expecting this big bullet to be this accurate. Dumb me. The bullet is extremely well made with a very good gas check so it screams consistency right out of the box. I look forward to shooting more of these next week.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Seeing that a 45/70 is not a bench gun, I didnt think that different brass would matter a whole lot.....I have mixed 30-30 brass, all trimmed to same length, identical loads, primers and bullets, and the different brass dosent make a difference whatsoever...As long as its properly trimmed etc, should all be the same

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you are probably right but where's the fun of just leaving it at that. On to the reload bench!

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I shot a small test group of the Beartooth 525gr Pile-Drivers today. I am working up slowly from a reduced load listed on their site. All I can say is wow. On a few of the loads I was able to group this monster bullet at 1.5" at 200 yards. I will have to load some more and go test again to make sure I was not just lucky. These 45 caliber missiles are not affected by crosswind very much at all. I also put a few into the burm at 100 yards to see the crater and I mean crater!

Great fun, accurate bullets, thanks Beartooth!
Was that a cheeky comment about seeing the crater?:flute:

·
Banned
244 Posts
I bought and loaded a box of them. Wow what a kicker!!!!!!!! Not recoil but KICK!!!! I sure would use them if I was hunting big bear up close and personal!!!! They do however take all the fun out of shooting my "95" . I had to stop at 20 shots the last time I took it out as the KICK got to the point that I was afraid that the KICK would end up causing me to flinch, something I havent done in over 40 years. They are certainly a good bullet!!!! FRJ

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I certainly cheat at the range. I put a full 1" extra recoil pad on my shoulder before shooting all these loads. Last Sat in the field I did not use the pad but did fine shooting the gong. At 100 yards these will make about a 6" x 6" crater in soft dirt and it whacked my steel gong so hard it knocked the stand over backwards.

Reactions: hard head

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seeing that a 45/70 is not a bench gun, I didnt think that different brass would matter a whole lot....

FWIW, conventional wisdom is that 45/70 case capacity varies enough between brands that it can affect pressures enough to matter:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/4...case-capacity-safety-warning-please-read.html
Beartooth says their piledriver loads are with Starline brass.
Well, I had not seen that but I certainly appreciate the information. For my loads I was using mixed brass and the next batch I will be very specific about which brass is used. My preference for these large bullets is Starline brass and I ususally keep the R-P brass for 300gr HPs.

Nice add to the post, thanks. I am also glad that this will bump the safety notice into awareness again. Good move.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my "new" 1895 back from Remington. Had to return it due to spurs on the feeder ramp shaving brass and a poor stock fit. They promptly corrected the issues and it's working fine now. I have been cycling Hornady 325g Leverevolution flex-tips. Went through 40 rounds and am in pain despite the ample recoil pad......lol. I can't wait to try the Beartooth 525g Pile Drivers but a question was brought up. Do I use the .459 or .460?

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Marshal recomends the .460 for the marlin. Works well in mine.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Marshal recomends the .460 for the marlin. Works well in mine.
+1 Second that. I am using the .460 PDs. They will make you sore too but, man, what fun you will have. We put a bunch into a gong at about 160 yards and you can really tell when you hit the gong. One hit was so square that it knocked the gong frame and all over backwards.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I go to the post office every day faithfully waiting for my 525 gr Pile Drivers to come... Should be any day now! :driver: :flute: :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well,

It kinda feels like cheating when you put that extra 1" pad on your shoulder. At times I get funny looks from shooters at the range until they hear the roar of the big'ins flying out of my SBL. Then they are all about asking me about the gun, etc. This 45-70 world is quite fascinating. All the way from the Sandy Hook tests to my latest 550gr Crater and 500gr jacketed DGX loads. I still have not had the opportunity to take any game with it yet but I am going to make sure that I have my loads shooting very well if I get the chance at elk, bear, ore moose. The two things I would change about my 45-70 is that mine is a Remlin and it needs a JM :flute:sibling.

Reactions: Sweetwater
1 - 18 of 18 Posts