Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked her up at a Pawn Shop today after scouring another gun show and the Olympia Cabelas. I spotted it a while back for $699. Golfbuddy45 suggested I offer $650 (thanks!) I offered $600 and they took it. I wonder what woulda happened if I started at $500?!?! :) Now the tough part... Keep it a 2007 "JM" stamped XLR in great shape, other than needing a bath, or shorten the barrel, lengthen the mag tube, add a big loop lever and get me a pre-Remlin SBL?? Decisions, decisions... I'll post pics later (can't figure it out on my iPad.)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
shorten the barrel, lengthen the mag tube, add a big loop lever
Why didn't you just get a GBL?, I cant see cutting up a nice rifle to make one that's readily available?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why didn't you just get a GBL?, I cant see cutting up a nice rifle to make one that's readily available?
That's the dilemma - I've been looking for a pre-Remington GBL for quite a while. I don't think they were made until 2009, and by then the transition to Remlin was underway. Did I mention walnut furniture?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That's a nice gun already - can't go wrong either way. I have a model 96 Swedish Mauser that has a too long barrel (for my liking) but I can't bring myself to "chop it down" - just does not feel anywhere close to being the right thing to do so .... it sits in my safe -- I need to sell it I guess.

P.S. That is an awesome bear gun by the way!

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
You bought her and only you can decide what "version" will work best for you. For me, I'd cut her off at 20" and leave the mag tube as is. Make it a big(ger) bore version of my 336ERs and .375s, the best lookin' Marlins ever made. :biggrin: I'd also like it with walnut furniture as well, BTW.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do with that fine new rifle!!

Reactions: Oberhaz

·
Super Moderator
12,121 Posts
I've owned almost every version XLR and my chopped 35 XLR is my favorite rifle. That said, I would suggest against cutting one down as the values on these are going up. It might make more sense to look for a 336SS-LTD instead, might take a while to find one at a decent price but they are out there.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'd hunt with it first. If after that I thought it was too long, I'd start with 336ER's suggestion.

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
I agree with Kingstrider & Oberhaz
" I would suggest against cutting one down as the values on these are going up."
"I'd hunt with it first."
I have hunted in both heavily wooded areas as well as open country, & as far as I am concerned its my go to rifle. Well balanced with enought weight to tame the heavest of loads.

Reload

·
Registered
692 Posts
What, you buy a prise like this and don't post pix? Shame shame on you. HEHEHE please post some pix?
Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will, I promise. After spending 15 months (all of 2010 & part of 2011) unemployed, I'm quite dedicated to my day job. It will have to wait for the weekend... Regrets.

·
Registered
692 Posts
MI, no prob, bother.
Steve

Reactions: MIRedneck
1 - 12 of 12 Posts