Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reloaded 350 grain hornady soft points with 47.5 grains of Reloader 7 and also speer 300 grain so called HP with the same load will these be sufficiant for black bear within the 250 to 300 pound range?? Within 65 yards??

·
Registered
539 Posts
Don't know about the Hornady bullet but the Speer is a tough bullet. It has a bonded core and is designed to launch at 2400 fps and needs at least 1300 fps to get reliable expansion on heavy bone. I can't comment on the velocity you will get with the load you mentioned but someone here will know that information.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That is plenty for black bear. They are not as tough as their cousins the brown. Heck, most people around here use a 150 or 165 gr. .308 and they do the job really well. I use the LE 325 and plan to use the LE 250 when it comes out for black bear.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That bullet and load is more than enough for the biggest black bear. They are easy to kill IF you hit them right.

JD338

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Good luck recovering one from a black bear. I must have shot half dozen bears with a 350gr hornady both fn and rn from 40-50 yards, out to 150 yards. They don't overly expand on broadside shots but will break any bone inside any black bear and probably exit. Thumb size hole thru and thru. Raking shots aren't a problem either. Bear might run 50 yards but with a hellova blood trail.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Should be fine, most bears that are hunted with dogs are treed and shot with a pistol. ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
The 350 grain Hornady is more then is needed for any Black Bear, it is a tough bullet. Reloader-7 is also a good powder. I use it with the Hornady 350's and it works great.

Domenic

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seabass - can you give me some of your experience with the Hornady 350s. I have been looking at both the FP and RN - I am wondering if there is some inherent design difference other than nose shape. I have heard/read somewhere that the FP is designed for the 458 Win, and may not expand at 45-70 velocities. I am not looking to load them super hot - probably in the 1750 - 1800 fps range. I love the Hornady 300 hp at 2000 fps for deer, but am looking for a moose load to 150 yrds. I am a big large meplat fan and would choose the fp all else being equal. Thanks - don't mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm sure Seabass will chime in also, but the 350 Hornady FP was made for the lever guns. The RN also has a smaller flat spot on the end of the bullet and will work fine in a tubular magazine. I did some testing a few years back and found the FP expands just a little bit faster on phone books. I think this is due to the larger surface area of the meplat. Hornady recommends both bullets for the Marlin 45-70 and the 458 WM and also recommends a muzzle velocity of 1800 fps to 2900 fps for both bullets. I think the FP would be overall better and has a somewhat higher BC. If you load the JFP light, the pressure may be somewhat higher then a RN due to the bullet shape.

Domenic

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi,
I agree with Reloader. It is my understanding the Hornady 350grfn was originally designed for the 450 Marlin and is equally at home with the 45-70.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I agree with Domenic, in my experience I've found that the flat point seems to expand a little better than the round nose, and this is probably due to the flat meplat of the bullet configuration. I know the 350gr Flat nose gives higher pressure than the round nose, by how much I can't say but be sure to work up loads. I believe this is because the flat nose was designed for the 450 Marlin which has a different throat (If I recall) than the 45/70. So remember, not all 300, 350, 400 etc bullets can share the same data so be careful.

·
Registered
83 Posts
kup
a leo friend of mine put it very well. he said: some people worry if there 9mm bullet will expand.
he has never had his 45 bullets shrink.

even if those bullets don't expand. you should still se daylight out the exit hole.
wise choice on either bullets.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Those bullets are fine for black bear as others have said they usually die pretty easy. I do find it funny that Hornady rates them for 2900fps in the 460Wby. I used to shoot them in my 458Win at 2500fps, shot one into a 210lb blacktail on Kodiak island a couple years back, bullet fragments everywhere, on a broadside rib shot. I have switched to the 350gr Speer Magtip for that rifle, but I just laugh at the idea of pushing the Hornady to 2900fps and getting any penetration, methinks the "Interlock" feature may be a bit overplayed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The Kid said:
Those bullets are fine for black bear as others have said they usually die pretty easy. I do find it funny that Hornady rates them for 2900fps in the 460Wby. I used to shoot them in my 458Win at 2500fps, shot one into a 210lb blacktail on Kodiak island a couple years back, bullet fragments everywhere, on a broadside rib shot. I have switched to the 350gr Speer Magtip for that rifle, but I just laugh at the idea of pushing the Hornady to 2900fps and getting any penetration, methinks the "Interlock" feature may be a bit overplayed.
I have shot two Whitetails and one Black Bear with the 350 Hornady in my 458 WM at over 2500 fps and have never seen this bullet fragment, Just a two inch exit. All rib shots. This bullet seems to hold up very well for me at the higher Velocity.

Domenic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts