Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine is heading up to Sitka, Alaska in June for some fishing. What's a good factory load for bear? He recently picked up a S&W model 629 in .44 magnum with a 5" barrel.

Any of you got experience in this area?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Sorry Hog King I thought your post was on beer load. Dang. Sounds like a fun trip. While in Sitka tell him to stop by the Raptor Recovery Center, it is worth a look. They recover, mend, and release those they can, birds of prey, hawks, owls, eagles etc. I found it fasinating. If he has the time.

·
Registered
485 Posts
he might want to stock up on #8 bug loads he might need more of them hear there bad at times :lol: mike

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Yep if I owned a 44 Mag it would be Garretts loads for me and Alaskan fishing.A wise choice.

Sounds like fun.Jayco

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live on the other side of the island from Sitka and if your friend is going on a charter he probaly wont need a handgun. But if when he gets to Sitka thier is a sporting goods store called Orion's at the Lakeside mall he (Bert he owns the place) sells Buffalo bores which he can help him in his selection. The city has a gun range at the end of the road where he can sight them in, just take a left when going out the main entrance of the mall and drive to the end of the road till you are about to cross a bridge with a swamp on the right take that dirt road on the right, they have a pistol, rifle in 100 and 200 yards. Don't bother going to Mac's they are down town and they suck. Bert can hook him up with all his fishing stuff too. Sitka is the salmon charter captial of Alaska. If your friend wants the 411 on Sitka have him Email me and I can awnser most if not all his questions. I get over there a couple of times a year for a few days as I live at a remote hatchery and it's the only real town on the island. He will like Sitka I do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts