Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She did a number on the feeder. Never got a shot of her face on the game cam. Sept 22 is bow/bear season. Hope I can get her to stay around. This is the second bear that hangs around. The other one is just over 125 lbs. I'm guessing. If you can see my blind is by my camper. I have water power and septic there. To the left is the cabin I live in up on the hill about 160 yards or so. Can't be seen from where the bear is. In the back ground is the Ouachita National Forrest. 1.8 million acres mostly in Arkansas and some in Oklahoma. Bear 2019.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
I will have to take a photo of my feeders as they work great and are almost indestructible.............although the bears knock them over, play with them like volleyballs and once in a while carry them off into the woods.

I use a piece of 12 inch pvc pipe about 3 foot long and about 3 inches from one end I drill a 2 inch or 3 inch hole with a hole saw. I dig enough ground out to place a sack of quickcrete in flush with the ground and take the paper off the top. Place the pvc pipe in the quickcrete with the hole closest to the ground and wet the quickcrete. let this set up and then fill with corn. I sometimes place a paper cup or piece of the corn bag over the hole so it does not all come flowing out at once but will trickle out when the animals start to consume the pile.

Other than having to replace the 5 gallon bucket every know and again the feeders are almost indestructible. last year I went to put feed in one and it was gone..nowhere in sight. I began making circles through the brush going out farther each time and low and behold the dang feeder was about 100 yds back in the woods from where it was set! The dang bear must have just picked the whole dang thing up (at least 100 lbs empty) and carried back in the woods. They are amazing creatures and trying to outsmart them is a fools errand with feeders.! I hope you can get your feeder running again as it looks expensive. you might want to consider the type I have suggested. Minimum costs and easy to haul the stuff in to do it at remote locations.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
A tripod feeder for deer in our area is pure folly, It takes a bear about 3 minutes to totally destroy it. To use a timer and solar charger I have to put them on a 30' vertical pole with a boat winch to be able to hoist them high enough to keep them out of reach. The concrete and PVC sounds like a good option.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I hate bears, put out two cornpiles, "legal in S.C.", and had pics of a bear on both the first week, "gonna be a long season", what I hate most about it is paying to feed the damn things, we're also "covered up" with them here in coastal S.C. T Rex

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
A bear did not tear up my corn feeder but rather a squirrel destoyed it. I left it in the woods for about a year after deer season and the property sold so I went to pick it up along with my camera and the corn feeder which had a hard plastic top on it had a hole chewed in the top of it and the timer which was plastic and alumimum was just about chewed through. The last run in I had with a squirrel was with my 4-wheeler, the squirrel ate a hole through the plastic gas tank. While not a bear the little rodents are destructive for their size, imagine a 300 pound squirrel. lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've never hunted bears and don't know that I ever will, but I'm taking notes from this thread in case I ever do.Good stuff here, thanks for sharing it!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
She did a number on the feeder. Never got a shot of her face on the game cam. Sept 22 is bow/bear season. Hope I can get her to stay around. This is the second bear that hangs around. The other one is just over 125 lbs. I'm guessing. If you can see my blind is by my camper. I have water power and septic there. To the left is the cabin I live in up on the hill about 160 yards or so. Can't be seen from where the bear is. In the back ground is the Ouachita National Forrest. 1.8 million acres mostly in Arkansas and some in Oklahoma. View attachment 769131
That looks like a Hunter's DREAM setup. Are you still working or are you retired?

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That looks like a Hunter's DREAM setup. Are you still working or are you retired?

Mike T.
Mike, I am still working. Hope to retire at 63. 4 1/2 years to go. I could be making 1/3 more money in OKC, Dallas/Ft. Worth or Little Rock but wanted to get a head start on a retirement place. If it were not for alimony I'da retired last year at 58.

·
Registered
565 Posts
She did a number on the feeder. Never got a shot of her face on the game cam. Sept 22 is bow/bear season. Hope I can get her to stay around. This is the second bear that hangs around. The other one is just over 125 lbs. I'm guessing. If you can see my blind is by my camper. I have water power and septic there. To the left is the cabin I live in up on the hill about 160 yards or so. Can't be seen from where the bear is. In the back ground is the Ouachita National Forrest. 1.8 million acres mostly in Arkansas and some in Oklahoma. View attachment 769131
I was a little unclear. Were you hoping/trying to attract bears, or disappointed that they tore up your deer feeder?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was a little unclear. Were you hoping/trying to attract bears, or disappointed that they tore up your deer feeder?
Since the bears are around I will be an opportunist as he is. It's a bucket list thing. If I see a mature one with no cub during the season I will definitely be feasting and running my toes through its fur.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
here is a local bear checking out an empty feeder

Attachments

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Mike, I am still working. Hope to retire at 63. 4 1/2 years to go. I could be making 1/3 more money in OKC, Dallas/Ft. Worth or Little Rock but wanted to get a head start on a retirement place. If it were not for alimony I'da retired last year at 58.
Every time I hear the DIVORCE word and then ALIMONY, I'm glad I stayed SINGLE! :eek:

Exercise and keep fit, then you can enjoy a LONG retirement. You might be surprised the small amount of money you can live on when you retire, have all your toys, ammo, and a GREAT PLACE TO HUNT!

Take care!

Mike T.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts