Marlin Firearms Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Black bear experience

In Canada I used a 50 cal black powder 300 grain bullet over a Magnum 150 grain powder charge at 15 yards on a wounded 6 ft plus 300 plus pound bear. I wasn't scared but SOMEBODT sh*t in my shorts !

So with a handgun I'd be nervous but having been in a few LE gunfights I'd suggest you spend plenty of time practicing with the biggest handgun you can shoot to develop hand/eye coordination and skill. Then maintain your skill level with frequent practice.

When under pressure you do as trained and the adrenal rush will allow you to focus on your target and ride the recoil much better than you think you could, WITH PRACTICE !

No good handgun caliber so best technique would be to practice caution and environmental awareness. My guide simple crashed through woods making as much noise as possible to alert the bears he was mucking about.

·
Registered
55 Posts
MMCougar "ED Mc Givern , ( famous , record-setting Shooter of ( circa ) 1932 -- fired five shots from a stock S&W DA revolver in
45 / 100's of a second . --- He fired at a target 15 ft. away , and the group was on the bullseye and could be covered by a 1/2 dollar piece ! --- He did it TWICE IN A ROW . -- The cartridge was only a stock .38 spl., -- but It illustrates how fast a DA trigger can be cycled . "

This is probably the target to which you refer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
greybeard forum

I couldn't get to the article.

Don't get me wrong I carry a handgun in the woods. When I am in Bear or lion country I carry a handgun. I will TRY to shoot them first but might take myself and try to talk the predator into giving me a car if I let the hostage go!

If the silly ass Feds wouldn't have such a problem with a 12 ga. sxs Howdah type pistol I'd carry that. But it'd be my last resort after running and screaming likea little girl.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
How about a 700 grain solid, yes 700grn chunk of lead for your S&W .500?

The 700 gr. Hardcast is now part of our permanent line-up, and the response has been TREMENDOUS! This will handle any Tyrannosaurus in your back yard. This is the LARGEST COMMERCIAL LOAD AVAILABLE, and the only place you can get it is right here. Our standard loading for best accuracy and all-around knockdown power is 1200 fps with 2240 ft. lbs. of energy and a Taylor KO Factor of 60. The Taylor Factor places this between a 375 H&H Magnum and a 458 Win Mag. Richard Gibson from Homer, AK has designed and manufactures this bullet and is one of the best hand casters around. If you plan on shooting more than one or two of these in one session, we recommend wearing a padded shooting glove. If you are into maximum recoil and self-abuse, this is the round for you. The bottom line is - You've bought the Biggest and the Baddest Revolver out there and this will demonstrate it's MAXIMUM CAPABILITY!! These are also available in the Sample Pak (10 rnds. maximum) or in a 20 round box.

20 rnd. box = $40.00
50 rnd. box = $85.00
Muzzle velocity = 1200 fps
Muzzle energy = 2240 ft. lbs
Recoil = 64 ft. lbs.

http://www.ballisticsupply.net/Default.aspx?tabid=252105

·
Registered
61 Posts
ABUSIVE Hmmmm?

Well when I was a teenager I did get accused of it,...! Not the same thing? Oh, Sorry.

But in reference or reverence to handgun recoil I gotta try one of those and the 460, too.

I really wish S&W would market a 50 SPECIAL on the n-frame. Push it to Plus P Velocities but not .50 Linebaugh or near the 500 Magnum. Make it a smaller package, if you can call an N-frame smaller, and go for a CCW use with controllable loads. I suppose I would like it to resemble a hot 45 long colt. Using a 300 grain soft lead semi wadcutter hollowpoint. U-wah!

·
Registered
61 Posts
454 Casull

Exit, pursued by a bear. -- William Shakespeare, Stage direction in "The Winter's Tale"

Reading these Posts I can't help but remember Elmer Fudd attacked by the Bear, playing 'Possum. LOL!

Anyway I recently shot a friends Ruger Redhawk in 454 Casull and while 2 other guys whined about the recoil I found it bothered me a lot less than my S&W 41 mag's does. The Ruger grips are better at absorbing recoil IMMHO. Well ok NOT so humble opinion.

Let me tell you that recoil and muzzle blast are NOT a factor in a fire fight. Your large motor functions taking over block out the rest of the garbage our sense are flooded with during an adrenal dump. So like I said before get you the BIGGEST caliber handgun you can shoot and practice shooting it until you CAN handle it with proficiency.

[/i]

·
Registered
398 Posts
My chice is one of my double action .44 magnums with 310 gr garrett Hammerheads. Shoulder shot first shot and head second if I get a second.
:shock:

S

·
0 Posts
Not sure in a "freight train" charge if you'll get the time to do any aiming at the head or other parts of the bears anatomy? A lot of discussion on this on several forums. Bears can move in excess of 35 mph and they don't seem to come at the victim from the front. And they are very sneeky.

·
Banned
862 Posts
This has been going on long enough that I think I'll weigh in. First, I live in the state that has the grizzly as its state animal and displayed on its flag, yet has none outside of zoos.

I have rarely been in grizz or brown bear country. So I'll speak to what I would generally encounter. That would be black bear. With the understanding that it, also serves for cougar, coyote and feral dogs.

In my case, it will be either a heavily loaded .45 colt, or .45 acp. The decision is generally determined by what I believe to be the biggest potential threat. As one who has looked for and only occassionally found bear while hunting, I have found that the biggest problem are camp bears. These critters aren't afraid of you, and can get darned cantankerous. At the same time, where these bears are found, you also tend to find more two legged predators. So, it really comes down to whether I'm in a remote location or not. Higher human traffic draws the .45 acp. Lesser traveled areas the .45 colt.

S

·
0 Posts
Yep, sounds like a Kalifornia opinion. Can't disagree with a heavily loaded .45 LC but don't think I'd carry a .45 ACP for bears? There are such places as Montana and Alaska still in the USA.

·
Registered
61 Posts
2 legged more possible than 4

I'll side with Jeepnik that you are more likely to run afoul of 2-legged predators than the 4-legged kind. Some areas like my home have a lot more Meth Labs in the woods than critters. The Critters run the Meth-heads shoot so again I'd go with a handgun I can handle and make noise. Both will deal with most animals quite adequately.

Last weekend we tried to find a wounded Axis Deer in heavy brush for 3 hours. We came across 4 Bobcat kills in less than a 1/4 mile area. But we never saw him/her but judging by the tracks it was a large bobcat. I've cross paths with bear, lion, wolf a couple of coyotes and now bobcats and happily can say that 4-legged predators will normally avoid you if given chance.

S

·
0 Posts
robin martin, don't disagree with your thinking but, I don't know of a bear defense mechanism that works, that won't also work on two legged preditors?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I stand corrected

See today's ODD NEWS story on Yahoo News.

-------

Conservation officer: Wolf chased cars Wed Apr 18, 9:23 PM ET

BRIMSON, Minn. - When conservation officer Steve Peterson got a call that a timber wolf was chasing vehicles on a country road near Brimson, he thought it was prank or a misidentified German shepherd. But then he saw it firsthand.

"I couldn't believe it. It was like a dog chasing cars," Peterson said. "It looked like a big, healthy male wolf. No mange."

Responding to the call last Friday, Peterson saw the animal hide in the ditch as a pickup approached and then come bounding out to chase it.

The wolf did the same when Peterson drove to that spot, where he stopped his vehicle.

"He hung around for a minute or 90 seconds and then walked off. I haven't heard any more reports since then," Peterson said. "I don't know if it was protecting some food or what. I've never seen anything like it. I've seen turkeys and ducks and geese chase after people's cars, but never a wolf before."

Roughly 3,000 wolves live in northern Minnesota. Usually, wolves stay away from people and vehicles.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just got back from my first prospecting trip of the year last night.

I had my first black bear encounter of the year while I was out, it was a sow with one small cub and they were only about 15 yards from me. The sow was standing on her hind legs

The sow wasn't a very big bear but it was close enough to get me to draw and fire a warning shot into a rock beside it.

Which resulted in the bear turning inside out in it's haste to get away from me...

Because it was raining/snowing I was wearing rain gear so I was carrying my 4.25" shortened Ruger SRH in 454 Casull in a Uncle Mikes holster cross draw on a 2" duty belt.

I was loaded with top velocity 300gr XTP-Mag's that made the 1 1/2' x 1 1/2' rock rock back a bit when the bullet hit...

Did I feel under gunned? Absolutely not...

Did I feel over gunned for a 2 legged encounter? Once again absolutely not...

·
Banned
862 Posts
S.B. said:
Yep, sounds like a Kalifornia opinion. Can't disagree with a heavily loaded .45 LC but don't think I'd carry a .45 ACP for bears? There are such places as Montana and Alaska still in the USA.
.45 acp isn't for bears. It's for two legged critters. Though, I suppose with some heavily loaded ball, and lots of time and ammo it would work. :twisted:

S

·
0 Posts
Jeepnik, reread the original post title? It asks about bear protection, not two legged targets?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I live and hunt in Pennsylvania, so the only bear I'll come across is a black bear. I recently bought a Ruger SBH in .44 mag. and have it loaded with 320gr. Cast Perf. bullets. I have been wondering about this choice. My usual CCW piece is a Glock 23. I know that I can more quickly bring the Glock into action than I could the Ruger. With it's 14 rounds of .40 S+W and quicker recovery from recoil, might that be the better choice for me?
Don

S

·
0 Posts
I know a lot of people who shoot Glocks but, I wouldn't use a .40 for bear protection.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts