Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what Andrew has said about the .17 Aguila beating the .17 HM2 by 50-75 yds energy-wise despite the .17 HM2 having a 300 fps advantage, I think I've been able to calculate the 20-gr bullet's BC to ~0.200 or so to achieve these results. Andrew, if you could comment, is this anywhere close to being the case? I saw the picture you posted of the .17 Aguila round, and it indeed did look very long and streamlined for caliber. Still, that would be a BIG jump in BC for a .172 caliber bullet, as the heavier 25-gr Hornady HP is only ~0.185. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Nick: When I ran the ballistics of the 17 AGuila through my "Point Blank" software I used BC of .184 which comes directly from the Aguila engineering dept. The Hornady used a .12 BC. With that program the Aguila edges the HM2 at 70 yards in the energy dept. My newest software from "RSI" corrected the BC to sea-level and 100 degrees for both bullets: The Aguila with a BC of 192 (if I remember correctly) and the Hornady 17 grainer at .136. Pugging these figures in with speeds of 1850 and 2100 ft/sec, the RSI gives the edge to the HM2 until around 140 yards, (Again) if i remember correctly. I have had good luck with the "Point Blank" program but the "RSI" software has alot going for it and seems to take in more variables including bullet shape. I'm willing to go with those numbers in deference to the more sophisticated software. Hope that helps. ~Andrew

1 - 2 of 2 Posts