Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to learn all I can about the different uses of the cast bullet for the 45-70. I see that there is a bevel base bullet and a plain base bullet.What is the reason for each ? My goal is to come up with a good cast bullet for plinking and hunting White Tail deer with and not have the problems with leading that some guys seem to have.Also,any recomendations for a cast bullet for my needs ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Want to eliminate most of the leading........ get a bullet that takes a gas check. BB bullets just speed up reloading and ease with placing the bullet into the case. Flat base bullets get deformed while shooting and yes leading happens.

I like to use bullets with a gas check and good lube ;)

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
78 Posts
You will probably get arguments for both but I don't think you will see to much of a difference between BB and plane base especially at mid to lower velocities? BB base will load easier and you won't' have to flare your case as much. As far as leading you need to find the correct size bullet and hardness for your particular rifle. You may find it will eat anything without any problems at all. Gas checked bullets will also help with leading issues and can be pushed to faster velocities. Theses also another thread going about polymer coated bullets, if you can find them they also would eliminate any leading issues. Probably any trapdoor load at the higher end using a 350 or 405gn bullet would give you a nice plinker and take any deer sized animal in north america.
I'm sure you will get tons of other recommendations, probably will come down to picking a few variations and seeing what you rifle likes.
Good luck, T.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
alot of custom casters use BB molds because they work better in casting machines they also load a little easier in cases but do not seem to be as accurate as flat base bullets i prefer flat base bullets but i shoot quite a few BB bullets in auto pistols and to a lesser degree in my 45/70s they both work and will sure kill whitetails good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts