Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this should go here or in Campfire Tales. Looks like the eye of Hurricane Irene will be passing within 75 or 100 miles from my doorstep. Power outage for 12-72 hours is almost a given. We don't have looters here, too many people are law abiding gun owners. Looters wouldn't last long here, I think.

We've got the yard picked up and are getting extra gas, sandwich fixings, beer, and lantern fuel. Lots of folks here still keep 'hurricane lanterns', the oil burning type. They last for generations if you keep wicks and fuel on hand. Try that with propane and mantles. They also don't hiss when I read.

5 gallon buckets by the edge of the porch will catch rain water to flush with. We'll put some tap water in clean stew pots for drinking and cooking water.

We'll be putting milk, beer, soda, and the like in a drink cooler full of ice. A larger cooler will have sandwich meats, cheese, condiments, eggs, and breakfast meats. (This keeps the fridge from being opened 30 times a day and makes a difference). Maybe a pack of hot dogs or shrimp too, as they both cook fast in boiling water. (Everybody here catches their own shrimp, and the shrimp may thaw out anyway). When the power is out, and the temps are over 85* and humidity is 99% you don't want to heat the house up doing a whole lot of cooking. Imagine living in a sauna, you get the idea. Steaks on the grill work too. Paper plates, disposable plastic cups and utensils come in handy. We rarely use them normally, but you don't have as much dish washing to do with the power (and water pump) off.

We'll play card and board games with the kids, tell stories, watch outside, and read books (those things with the pages). With any luck, the wife will bake some goodies before the power goes down so we have home made cookies or the like to nibble on.

And a lot of this might have been avoided if I'd only taken the generator to the repair shop in the spring when I should have!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Good luck braving the storm!! Hopefully it doesn't do too much damage.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Well you got a plan. I hear they think Manhattan could get a 13' storm surge... I kinda hope she turns out to sea :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Good luck with the storm. I know what you mean about the generator. Took mine out a couple of days ago and fire it up! Didn't run as good as when I put it up, but it runs! ;D I keep telling myself "I won't do that next year", but with procrastination being my middle name, well, here we are again :mad: Luckily, Looks like we aren't gonna get hit by the storm, but prayers sent to you and all the others who might. Been through a few down here and they're no fun, except for the kids, who get out of school and think it's like camping at home.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marlinluvr,

I'm starting to run 'Sta-bil' in all my 2 cycle engine gas. If I do otherwise, I always wind up with a gummed up carburetor. The two generators I have are no exception. The small one I use for flounder lights or dock repair work (ever tried using 500' of drop cord?!?) and the large one is my 'house' generator, though it has been floundering too.

We're used to the storms, as much as anyone can be. My family has lived on or near the NC Outer Banks since colonial times. We currently live near Harkers Island/Cape Lookout.

Do you mind if I ask what state you're in? We too look at a hurricane as camping indoors, and yeah, the kids like the break from school!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I'm in South Florida. Went through hurricane Andrew in '92...actually 19 years ago yesterday and it was no fun! Also been lucky with all the others that have come through since and even luckier with the ones that have missed us, like Katrina! As I said before, good luck and let us know how you're doin.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Rig a quiet power unit. 2 12volt batteries and a couple of 700 watt inverters, will get you by for a while. Having a small gas motor and an alternator to replenish is good. A 12 volt solar charger works well.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Mommicked, prayers and best wishes for you and yours. We're right above you in tidewater (Surry County) Virginia, and I'm not looking forward to this. I'm somewhat prepared, but am not at peace with my preparations. The generator, chain saw and tractor have all been fired up and tested and we keep a basic survival load of food and water, though, so I guess just smaller preps are required. Again, best wishes for a safe time.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, you keep your head down up there Sensai. I'm with you on all the above. We're a little more concerned with this one than the average 'cane'. Some of the locals are actually leaving for this one, and that's fairly rare.

As an electrician, I'm getting all the usual generator calls. Most folks love waiting till the last minute.

Prayers sent back you way too.

Swany,
Hadn't thought about the inverter route, I have one 700 watt inverter in my van. Might be enough to make a difference, you never know. If I can get my cousin to clean the carb on my main generator, I can run everything but the A/C.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
That's where I tell folks building a new house to get all lights on a separate circuit and have all your lights the screw in type with LED bulbs (50,000 hours) they only require 2 watts each for 40 watt output. Turn off the lights breaker and use a double male plug to plug into a adaptor device for an outlet that screws into a socket. Then all lights are good to go. Much beyond that it is individual needs that you use for power, and a lot of them can be run from a pair of 700s, the larger invertors are good but pricey.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
We got lucky this time, south coastal SC. I knew I was safe when I got the generator running a couple days ago. We have a good swell running now, you could feel it in the river this morning.
I swear by the Stabil, I curse myself when I forget to add it. I ought to have shoulders like Godzilla from outboard motors, lawn mowers, and chain saws I pulled in the old days ( when men were men.) Good luck, mommicked, I have a few friends downeast, around Marshallburg. I hope it goes well for you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Good luck. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I live in western NC but am watching very closely to see what happens. I handle claims for an insurance company so likely will be heading down east after the storm for storm duty. Not looking forward to it. I hope and pray for those in the path that it's not as bad as they're predicting.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dave here in Brick NJ two miles from the ocean.Don't feel good about this storm!
Hope it goes out to sea. Good luck everyone.
Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fill all your bathtubs up with water before hand and whatever you do, stock up on toilet paper.

Mike

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
magothy1 said:
We got lucky this time, south coastal SC. I knew I was safe when I got the generator running a couple days ago.
Yep, I know that feeling! We've got a 5250 Watt, takes care of most of our stuff, now up and running.

magothy1 said:
I swear by the Stabil, I curse myself when I forget to add it.
I buy it in bulk long before I run out; I seldom forget to add it anymore. I often measure and put it in the gas can before I leave to fill up so I don't forget. The gas cans live under the stabil in my messy shop.

magothy1 said:
I ought to have shoulders like Godzilla from outboard motors, lawn mowers, and chain saws I pulled in the old days ( when men were men.) Good luck, mommicked, I have a few friends downeast, around Marshallburg. I hope it goes well for you.
My Southern Skimmer is real nice, and quite fancy, but it still has an humble little 40hp Suzuki with a pull start. If I keep fresh gas and stabil in her, I rarely have to pull her a third time though. Ironically, I most often put over in Marshallberg when going out in the boat. We also go to Church in 'the Berg'. It's about 5 minutes from here. I don't know everybody there, but my uncle used to shrimp a lot around McClellansville and Bulls Bay back in the day.

The storm is just starting to pick up a tad. Just feeder bands really, no different than a summer thunder squall. Uncle Jessie said (you DO know the Dukes, don't you?) to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. That sounds like good advice and I'll take it!

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
My daughter, hubby and three grand kids, live in North Western, NC and I don't like the worry. I do hope you all fair well.

On another note, all in the storms path, do post what you did not have that you will prepare for. We always forget something.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Good luck to you. If you spend time in Marshallberg harbor you probably know PD Mason, Carolyn is his wife, they live just east of the North River. I called him yesterday, all I could hear was hammers, they were putting up plywood.
I hope you all fare well thru it.
Steve

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi All, In Jacksonville region the storm is about 100 miles offshore. Bands of rain are coming ashore and pounding the area. In Middleburg the rain is heavy, but coming in short periods each separated for at least 30 minutes. Marla

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Drinks and sandwich fixings in coolers was a big plus. It kept the refrigerator doors closed. Hurricanes are HOT, maybe exactly the opposite of a winter storm with power loss.

Generator dying when there's no power means you might lose what meats and such you have in your fridge and freezer. Make sure your generator is up to snuff.

Make sure you have enough gas on hand. Some folks run a generator more than others, and some run out of fuel. Make sure you put 'Sta-bil' or some similar gas treatment in the fuel so it doesn't gum up the carb. Shut the fuel off and let the carb burn out what gas is left in it; you'll save yourself trouble there.

It's hard to know how long the power will be out. We were without power this time about 60 hours; 2 1/2 days. Too long for your freezer to go without juice.

I never cease to be amazed how folks help each other out when the chips are down. There are good folks still out there. Don't be fooled. Do yourself a favor, be one of them!

Sadly, some folks homes here were severely flooded. I say severely because once it comes inside your home, it's severe. There is no other word to describe it. It doesn't smell like pool water or beach water, it smells like 10,000 overflowed septic tanks with a tinge of diesel or gasoline. It ruins any fabric it contacts, permanently (unless you like the smell of 10,000 septic tanks). Many folks have lost cars, clothes, appliances, furniture, and the like. While this storm was no Katrina, to some it has nonetheless been devastating and life altering. Pray for them if you would.

Last, based on my own experience with Hurricane Isabel a few years ago (which this storm mimiced closely) the Salvation Army and the Red Cross both came to help. The Red Cross fed us, (as did the Salvation Army) but the Salvation Army treated us like PEOPLE. There was a noticeable difference in the way each treated us. Your experience may be different.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Sorry to be so late reporting in. Me and mine faired pretty well (PTL). Lots of trees down, but nothing hit the house or garage. Lost the well/pump house. Spent most of Sunday clearing the local roads and checking up on neighbors. One tip that I learned from one of my neighbors is to fill any empty space in your freezer and fridge with bottled water before the storm. When the power goes out it will maintain the cold temperature much longer. We are still without power except for our generator. We're pretty low priority on the repair schedule, so the predicted wait for us is ten to twelve days. Well, thanks for your prayers and well wishes. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts