Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, I have a .243 ultra that is breaking open when fired. I have had it for two years. I hunted with it year before last and it worked fine. Last year while sighting it in it started to open when fired. I am using factory ammo from different manufacturers and different loads. It opens with 100 gr Hornady and with 58 gr Hornady and all other brands. I don't want to send it in If I dont have to, because it is past the 1 year warranty. I have cleaned it up and dried it. If I have to send it in, anyone know what kind of cost I might be looking at?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Clean it good, paying attention to the latch and latch shelf area and the pivot area. Make sure there's no oil or grease on the latch or shelf, the bottom of the barrel and the frame, they should be clean and dry. You can find lots of info in the FAQ and other stickys at the NEF/H&R Centerfire forum at Graybeard that is specific to your rifle.

H&R is real good about repairs well after the warranty has expired, they won't charge anything cept shipping. But if it's tight, it probably just needs a good cleaning or possibly a little honing of the latch shelf. Many have had this problem and fixed it themselves. There are instructions in the FAQ at GBO for this fix.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=126&sid=7c221d0e7b09cbb1752566aa0f90f1f7

HTH,

Tim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Handi open when fired

Quick: no his stuff when it come these rifle,what I found the same problem happen to me with a new Handi.The fix I found was to snap it shut not just to close it easy ,seem the problem is gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the gun is back together, the barrell does not seem to fit tight agaist the receiver. There is the slightest play. I guess I'll send it back.

Thanks for your help!
Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
The barrel should lock up tight on a .002" feeler gauge blade placed just above the firing pin against the standing breech when the barrel is closed. If there's a gap there, send the rifle in for repair/replacement. A .001" blade will be snug but can be pulled out on a barrel that is properly fitted and undamaged. You can contact H&R at (978) 630-8220 or email them at [email protected]

Tim

·
Registered
91 Posts
45-70 BC

quick: I just got done cleaning the new BC and I did come across the same problem ,seem if you gentley close the barrel it seem the barrel is lock ,but apply a little pressure to the barrel and it will pop open ,but if you snap it closed it stays closed.I was wondering how do you lock up your handis do you snap it shut or what?
I did on this one: place a little nylon washer under the barrel lug ,the dollar bill runs smooth between the barrel and stock.I am waiting for my bullets and brass @ dies to get this thing to shoot some lead with black powder.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
I just close them firmly, I don't slam em shut.

You're in for some fun when you get to rollin your own for the BC, it's a hoot!!! The 45-70 is just a real fun caliber and when you're makin your own loads, it just makes it that much more fun!!! Speakin of fun, the 45-120 BC is even more so.... :D

Tim

525gr Beartooth Piledriver

1 - 9 of 9 Posts