Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tryed to order a barrel from
Gun parts inc. And tryed to fit it on to there receiver.
Or have a gun smith do it.
Was thinking of getting a 45/70 barrel for my 270.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I've only used the H&R factory program for barrels on H&R/NEF firearms. Some folks have bought them from individuals, mounted them, and never had a head space issue. I would be wary of that since I don't have a way to measure head space other than the shade tree way.

When I had a collection of NEF firearms I did enjoy the interchangeability of barrels. I had the .50ML, .243 Win, 12ga turkey barrel, and .410 barrels. I would have kept them and added more barrels if Marlinitis hadn't come into play.

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Of the 50 to 60 some H&R barrels I've owned about half were bought used and fitted myself, sometimes they fit fine with no adjustment or fitting necessary, most require a little fitting of the latch engagement, some require major fitting to include cutting or shimming the pivot. At this time I have over forty H&R/NEF rifles and a few shotguns. H&R will fit used barrels if they can if you aren't confident in trying it yourself, how to fit/check is covered in the barrel fitting info in the H&R Forum FAQs sticky, link below. Hundreds of barrels and frames have been sold in the H&R Classifieds at GBO, many members buy used barrels and fit them at home, many others buy em and if they don't fit, resell and try another barrel, those that have several frames so they can try several to check usually have a frame that will work fine. Many gunsmiths will fit barrels as well, my smith who does rechambers and rebores for me has fitted many barrels for other members at GBO.

Tim

Graybeard Outdoors - Index

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Good luck, I've never ever seen an H&R or NEF RIFLE barrel on Numrich, only shotgun barrels, they would be listed under NEF, Numrich is a little behind times, H&R hasn't made an NEF branded firears since 2007! Keep and eye on the GBO H&R Classified forum, a 45-70 barrel just sold yesterday for $130 shipped.

Tim

NEW ENGLAND FIREARMS Accessories | Numrich Gun Parts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just check there catalog s I was just down there
And picked up there new 3 catalog set. Your wright
They don't even list the barrel's.
I just missed out on a new 45/70 too.

·
Premium Member