Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble finding info on switching barrels on a remington 700 ADL.
I own one in .270 win. I want to switch barrels to a .30-06. I have contacted Remington and they say they would not sell me the barrel and that they are the only ones who could do the switch.
What I am really looking for is any reason why the barrel would not be able to be switched between these two calibers, because the cases are the same accept for the neck and shoulder. I wouldn't think the bolt, action or mag box would have to be changed for this. Has anyone tryed this or have any comments on this?
the only reason I want to switch barrels is for target shooting cheap 30-06 FMJ surplus ammo and the option of shooting heavier bullets.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You can buy custom barrels for the 700 action ranging from $125.00 to whatever you want to spend. The problem is these barrels have to be fitted to the action by a competent gunsmith to assure proper headspace and barrel alignment. Without doing this you run a very good chance of having the gun "blow up" in your face. Savage and some other makers make some barrels that will interchange with their actions. You can buy a Savage rifle in 30-06 for what a custom barrel and having it fitted to the Remington action by a gunsmith would cost. PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU RUN THE RISK OF PERMANANT INJURY OR DEATH! This is not a project the run of the mill shooter should try without a lot of help from someone that knows how to headspace a barrel! :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. I'm plenty smart enouph to know when I shouldn't just do something my self. I didn't have the proper info on this subject, and I'm too new to customising. don't worry, i won't do this.
I was more looking for the info about headspacing and the differenece between the two cases.

·
Premium Member
12,017 Posts
I've had to re-barrel because I've just flat worn out a barrel or three. This is a job that some gunsmiths can do, and others can't. Some do exceptionally well. If you want to have it done, find a guy in your area who specializes in re-barreling target or varmint rifles. Those shooters ask a lot of their rifles, and a gunsmith catering to them will know his stuff.

Your .270 won't need any special work done other than to properly headspace the .30-06 barrel onto your action. Same action, same magazine, same bolt face. It will be an easy job. Remington will probably re-barrel your rifle with one of their production barrels for considerably less than what a custom smith will charge.

Here's the rub... To do it right, a good smith will urge you to have the action trued and to buy a "quality" barrel (I generally choose Krieger) and the whole doggone operation will run somewhere around $400 - $600 by the time you buy the barrel and the smith is done putting it on your rifle. Once the rifle action is "true" that work will not likely have to be done again, so subsequent barrels turn out to be less expensive.

Ya gotta do a lot of shooting to wear out a typical rifle barrel. My .308 barrels usually last between 4000 & 6000 rounds of accurate life. Cartridges with greater powder capacity to bore ratio (like a .300 Win mag, or a .264 Win mag) will burn out the throat on a rifle much faster.

Frankly, it would probably be a lot less expensive to sell your .270 and buy a .30-06 rifle.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't want to get rid of the .270. the only reason i was considering it was cause i saw a remington 700 30-06 barrel on sale for $150
I guess I might as well get a new rifle in 30-06. but if I'm gonna spend that much, i want a bigger differentce in caliber like .338

·
Premium Member
12,017 Posts
Okay, this can be done, but you've got to have the right 'smith to do it.

You can have the .270 and the .30-06 barrels set up on your action and your rifle will be a true "switch-barrel." It takes a good smith to pull it off.

I have a Model 70 Winchester with three different barrels. Each barrel is ready to go, threaded and chambered. To swap 'em I have to pull the barreled action from the stock, lock the barrel into a barrel vise, and unscrew the action with a big wrench. With a Rem 700 you'd want to do this with a real action wrench. With my flat bottom Winchester, I can get by with a big open-end wrench.

Then I just screw on the waiting barrel until it's firm, then give it another quarter turn. It works great. I don't see why you couldn't have your .270 and .30-06 barrels set up the same way. Then again, I'm not a gunsmith, just a guy who pays a gunsmith a lot of money to keep my rifles shooting great!

Regards, Guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts