Marlin Firearms Forum banner

barrel shank threads

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Rider51 
#1 ·
Hi all Im anew member here .Does anyone here know if the barrel shank on the 336 and 1894 are the same?thanks.Billy

#6 ·
JBledsoe said:

Is this an academic question or are you thinking of some kind of barrel switch?

The threads look the same but the barrels are not interchangeable.

Welll, they are & they arent. Forgetting about the hoods etc that some of them have that might cause problems depending on the vintage of the reciever a 336 barrel will fit right onto a 1894 reciever & a 1894 barrel will fit right onto a 336 reciever. The biggest issue will be the extractor cut since the 336 extractor is fatter than a 1894 extractor. That said I cant see a reason to do such a thing since none of the calibers a 1894 is chambered for will work in a 336 and none of the 336 calibers will fit into a 1894. Only exception being if a person was trying to make a 336/44 but good luck finding a correct lifter and lacking a proper lifter it'd be a jamamatic of epic proportions I'd think.

#7 ·
I was thinking of building .357 max on a 336 action.Sometimes just doing it is the best reason.I like to tinker.So far i have built a smokless .45 cal muzzleloader on a rem 700 action using a Pac-Nor barrel.And also on a TC Encore.I had a factory 45-70 barrel tapped for a breach plug on that one.The extractor and lifter should not be that much of a problem.Thank every one for your replies.Billy

#8 ·
bteague said:
I was thinking of building .357 max on a 336 action.Sometimes just doing it is the best reason.I like to tinker.So far i have built a smokless .45 cal muzzleloader on a rem 700 action using a Pac-Nor barrel.And also on a TC Encore.I had a factory 45-70 barrel tapped for a breach plug on that one.The extractor and lifter should not be that much of a problem.Thank every one for your replies.Billy

First welcome to Marlin owners. I can sure relate to the desire to tinker! ;)
Thats not going to work easily. The tube port on a 336 is much too big for a 357 tube. I guess you could maybe weld the hole shut & then drill it out to fit a 357 tube if you wanted to do it bad enough. Then you would need to make some sorta shell stop and figure a way to get the 336 lifter to keep the smaller 357 cases from just following each other into the gun. The 336/44 didn't have the tube issues & dealt with the shell stop & feeding issues like this.

#9 ·
Leverdude,As far as the mag tube goes.It should be easy enough.Just replace it with thicker wall tubing.or sleeve the 33-30 tube.If I do this I will buy another lifter and try to modify it.A little weld and grind here and there.OAL on 357max is just under 2".So i might be able to make it work.
Thanks for tose pictures.Billy

#11 ·
bteague said:
Leverdude,As far as the mag tube goes.It should be easy enough.Just replace it with thicker wall tubing.or sleeve the 33-30 tube.If I do this I will buy another lifter and try to modify it.A little weld and grind here and there.OAL on 357max is just under 2".So i might be able to make it work.
Thanks for tose pictures.Billy
Your welcome. You'ld need a sleeve with a step on the inside and outside to keep the follower from entering the action and to get the sleeve past the step thats there to keep the 30/30 follower from entering the action, but I guess its doable.
Interesting project for sure! Keep us posted if you move forward & dont be afraid to ask questions! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.