Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got and old Remington model 12-C that really needs it. The epoxy-in liners look like something that can be done at home without a lathe. Anyone ever done one of these themselves, or is it better to send it out?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Brownell's has liners made by Randall Redman. They also have extra long drill bits for boring out your old bore. You would have to obtain a chambering reamer, too. Once you re-line your barrel, the extractor notch will need to be re-cut. Squaring of the muzzle, along with chamfering, will also need to be done.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
You'll also need a lathe to turn the barrel square after cutting off the excess liner on both ends, a barrel wrench and barrel vise to remove the barrel from the receiver.
Yes, I have done it, and I even tried it without all these items. It can be done, it may even shoot somewhat accurately, but it's a crap shoot without all the right stuff.
You can build a barrel wrench/vise, using some 5/8"-3/4" rod, and a couple blocks of steel, if you have a drill press that will handle a bit that large. You can also build a barrel vise from a hydraulic bottle jack, and some steel channel. Or you can buy a press for about $125 that is for bearings and other auto or machine shop work, and use it for your gun work too. That's what I did, but I still had to make a action wrench.
The bits from Brownells also come as the correct size, and you have a shaft welded to them, to make them the correct length. These are much cheaper. JB Weld, or Acraglass both work well for .22 liners. Don't order any drill bit, until you know the OD of the liner.
Of all the relining a home hobbyist can do, a .22 is the easiest. If you plan to only do your one gun, don't bother. It's cheaper to have it done. If you're planning to do more than a few, then it may pay to set yourself up with the basic tools.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts