Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just occurred to me that we hear about a lot of barrel cutting with little if any, conversation about the crowning job ??? It seems to me that the crown work would be very important and critical work for accuracy, yet I don't read anything about accuracy changing, POI, or advantages of expert smiths in this area?? Just seems like it would be more specialized and requiring great care?

So what are any of you guy's thoughts on quality or importance of crowning work?

tks

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
The crown makes a difference. It would be interesting to shoot a barrel then re crown it and retest.
The crown on my 45-70 sucks I wish they had recessed it.I didn't buy it for accuracy I bought it for bear and elk.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Crowns are very important and can make a huge diference to accuracy. Any smith can do recrowns and it is not an expensive job. I did one on my neighbors beat up Anchutz .22 that had been dropped on its muzzle and damaged. I used a cordless drill, had nothin to loose, and it now shoots better than ever.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I agree with Oz........it's very important when it comes to accuracy.

If my crown sucked and I was using it for bear or elk I would do something about it.....I wouldn't excuse it off and say I didn't buy it for accuracy......but that's just my personal stance.

There's some gunsmithing sticky's in the reference library on how to fix it with general shop tools.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Crowning protects accuracy -- but it doesn't really contribute to it.

The critical accuracy factor at the muzzle is suqareness -- the end of the bore must be absolutely square. If it is, then no crown will increase the accuracy -- in fact, a poorly-done crown may destroy accuracy. What a proper crown does do, however, is protect the very end of the bore from dings and dents. In an ideal world where the muzzle never comes into contact with anything that can harm it, no crown would be needed.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Brownell's and Midway have the tools to do your own crown, I've used them on many different calibers...you'de be surprised (or maybe not) just how out-of square a factory muzzle can be. Crowning is one of the first things I do when "accurizing" a weapon...that INCLUDES shotguns FWIW.

It might be cheaper just to have a smith do it if you only have one rifle, but if you have more than one then invest in the tools and resquare/recrown them all...you can cut an 11° target, recessed, square, or a combination of all.

I usually square first, recess about 1/16-1/8" then do a small 11°, 45° or 60° bore cut...depending on how much coffee I had/ ??? ;D

Just how effective the new crown will be depends on what accuracy level your rifle and ammo can produce...but it WILL change the group impact point usually.

LUCK

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
That's good info but when I said my crown sucks it's the fact that you lay a strait edge on it the crown is the part that touches the rifling. I've never seen one that exposes it's self to damage. but It does shot ok.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! I am really patting my self on the back here for asking the question!!!! Some great info that I have not seen covered elsewhere???
Thought I knew a lot, but I knew I was missing some info on crowning. Thanks alot guys-----good stuff to know and keep in mind.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
caveman you gotta give quietman a a+ for his post. That was 1st class answer to the question ;D ;

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YEP----A+ One heck of a good test on the crown. I knew there had to be some good info out there somewhere :)
Thanks a bunch!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts