Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is serial number range to avoid in a 308 or 338 Marlin? I am under the impression that "93" guns are OK, "91" guns are likely to have it, but is there a cut off in the "92" numbers?

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
+1 on what NickyHayden has posted--I don't think a definite serial number range within the 91 serial numbered rifles was ever identified for the 308/338MX rifles with the barrel droop. There is a thread that outlines what you have to do (step by step) to determine if the rifle has a "droop" problem.

Reactions: Scorpiusb

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, you can't always check for barrel droop due to a scope mounted on the gun. I was hoping for a serial number range to work with.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If I was serious about buying a said Marlin with possible Droop issue, I Would NOT let a mounted scope stand in my way. Yank it and check it out. No one should have a problem with that. PLUS..... if it has a scope and they cant get it on paper....its got issues. If the scope is sited in and hit POA with out shims under the scope. More than likely its fine.

Hayden.

·
Banned
231 Posts
Just to be clear, not all 91 serial numbered rifles had the droop. I have a 91 308 MX that was sighted in with very few shots, and it didn't need any shims either. There was also one 92 serial numbered receiver that had the droop that someone had made reference to, along with a few MR serial numbered receivers.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Hadn't heard of a MR receiver having problems--other than the many standard QC problems. I remember reading that the droop problems were caused by a equipment calibration problem in the old CT factory.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
+1 what Ret Eng said. I read here somewhere that the machine that drilled the barrel threads in the reciever broke a bit. They chucked up another bit and went on. In the process they didnt realise that the broken bit had knocked the machine out of calibration. This wasnt noticed till guns were out the door. Someone on the board here was involved in the recalibrating of the machines. Cant remember who it was.

Hayden.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
I think what happened here is that this guy got a rifle made out of CT parts--just as my Remlin 308MX is. My Remlin Express rifle still has the CT roll stamp on it. Later Remlins have the Ilon, NY stamp on the barrel. Parts such as barrels and receivers were sent to Ilon, NY from CT before the final shut down. That guy got the worst of all worlds--poor Remlin QC and bad parts from the old CT factory.

·
Banned
231 Posts
Well, I am just clarifying, initially you stated that MR receivers didn't have droop issues, as you can see that is not the case, MR receivers did have droop issues, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that all MR receivers were made in Ilion NY, there were some Marlin made barrels that had North Haven roll marks that were sent to Ilion but all the Marlin made receivers that were sent already had the 91 serial numbers on them, hence the reason you have 2009 and 2010 manufactured rifles with 91 serial numbers.

Remington was allowed to use the North Haven roll mark on Remington made barrels for quite some time after the move to Ilion, so that would explain why some rifles have the North Haven roll marked barrel and MR receivers, if your North Haven roll marked Barrel has the REP proof mark, it was assembled in Ilion, and is possibly made with 100% Remington parts, just an FYI.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Well, I am just clarifying, initially you stated that MR receivers didn't have droop issues, as you can see that is not the case, MR receivers did have droop issues, if I'm not mistaken, I believe that all MR receivers were made in Ilion NY, there were some Marlin made barrels that had North Haven roll marks that were sent to Ilion but all the Marlin made receivers that were sent already had the 91 serial numbers on them, hence the reason you have 2009 and 2010 manufactured rifles with 91 serial numbers.

Remington was allowed to use the North Haven roll mark on Remington made barrels for quite some time after the move to Ilion, so that would explain why some rifles have the North Haven roll marked barrel and MR receivers, if your North Haven roll marked Barrel has the REP proof mark, it was assembled in Ilion, and is possibly made with 100% Remington parts, just an FYI.
You are correct--the CT barrel roll mark was used in NY for awhile after the move. And you are right that this rifle in the post has a MR receiver--never heard about this before--those bad barrels had to make their way up to NY. I remember Express rifle production being halted by Remlin until QA/QC issues were corrected (mostly concerning droop and fit issues)--the 338MX/MXLR was cancelled altogether. My Remlin 308MX doesn't have the fit issues/tool marks/sharp edges/bad bluing/mis-aligned sights found on a lot of the 2010-2011 era manufactured Remlin rifles. There are a few Remlin rifles made during 2010-2012 like this as well. I will never know for sure--but I think my Remlin has a majority of CT parts in it. I haven't seen a Remlin as nice as my Remlin 308MX in my LGSs since purchasing it in early 2012.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.