Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the barrel banc near the front sight is loose and allows the magazine tube to move back and forth a little bit, maybe 1/8" at the most. The screw is tight and everything, it just doesn't clamp down on the barrel or tube. Is this normal? The rear band that goes around the forearm is tight with no movement.
GH1 :)

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
back & forth as in rotationally or in & out? It's best if it don't squeeze. Often that means you will be able to rotate things slightly & move the tube out from bottom dead center. But it shouldn't move in & out much if at all. That will allow the tube to slam against the screw under recoil & get worse & worse if it's a heavy caliber & you shoot hot loads. Socking down on the front band scew might help, but the reality is that the screw should fit between the barrel & mag snug enough with the band slipped on to not move fore & aft much. The rear band on the other hand doesn't squeeze at all, the threads are right under the head. The screw itself actually acts like a pin to retain the forend. Anyway Iv never had good things happen from tightening a front band past snug.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
A little movement is better .. all the new xlr's with cap move and I think it helps accuracy by not having added pressure to the barrel ..

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
How's the accuracy? Are you getting good groups from it?

M

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not as good as I'd like. I've been playing with loads and I'm getting it dialed in, which I've documented under my post entitled "Accuracy Question".
I've noticed as the barrel gets warm it tends to shoot low and to the right. With a cool barrel it's much more accurate.
I'll be shooting again this Sunday with a few more load variations and I'll be sure to post me results. If anybody has some insight as to the low/right situation I'd sure love to hear it.
GH1 :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts