Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a really good load for my 1894 .44 Mag. Speer 270 gr Gold Dot/Deep Curl JSP over a near-max charge of W296. But, being in Calif, next year will bring the statewide lead-free hunting ammo law. I started looking at this Barnes bullet as a lead-free alternative. The main issue is that the label on the box states: 1:20" Twist or faster. As the Marlin .44 barrel has a 1:38" twist rate, this leads me to believe that this bullet would be a poor performer in the Marlin. Does anyone have an experience to the contrary? Is there another good lead-free replacement bullet for the Speer 270 gr in the 1894?

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
The length only matters on how much rides on the lands and grooves. Are FTX pills not all copper? They shoot good in mine.

Reactions: rlm1

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 200gr XPB is closer in length to the 270 Speer. The Speer is .752" and the 200 XPB is .813". It would probably come closer to stabilizing than the 225 XPB that is .890" long.
That's good to know. I'm just getting into non-lead loading, and the norm seems to be to use bullets that are about 15-20% lighter than a comparable jacketed lead bullet for the caliber.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
My main mono loadings have been with the 80gr TTSX and 80 GMX in the 243 win and the 130gr TTSX in the 30/06. So far I'm batting .000 on recovering a bullet from any angle on whitetails. The 110TTSX in .308" and the 110gr in 7mm are gaining in popularity because of less recoil, laser flat to reasonable range and they penetrate like a drill.

From what I've read and my own experience with mono bullets lighter and faster is more betterer.

I like them tipped in rifles for expansion and the XPB looks like a flying trashcan so it's gonna open. The longer shank on the monos really help them dig once they start going to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.