Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Barnes TSX for hunting? Currently I am using 405g RN with IMR4198 and new Starline brass. Winchester LRP. I have seen the Barnes TSX kill a lot of deer in other guns. Mainly a 25-06. I was wondering how the performance and wound channel would be in a (.458) 45-70 round. These bullets are all copper and hollow point from what I have looked at at my local bass pro shop.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I have a box, but haven't loaded them yet. I'll be interested in the answers. 45-70 was just "made" for cast bullets, but the Barnes products are bound to be good.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I use all cast right now. I'm getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards with the skinner peep sight. I just feel wrong running an optic on my GS lol good enough groups for me at 100 open sights. Plus where I hunt is heavy brush. This is another reason I was looking at the Barns TSX. I'm wanting something that will punch through the brush and still maintain flight trajectory and velocity.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Plus where I hunt is heavy brush. This is another reason I was looking at the Barns TSX. I'm wanting something that will punch through the brush and still maintain flight trajectory and velocity.

Pretty much a myth there, nothing is going to punch brush and still hold the course.

I hunt a lot of really thick stuff too, I wait for a more open shot. It's tough and sometimes I don't get a shot but I'm not much for wounding, missing I can handle but not wounding.

I used to shoot peeps but a 2.5x Leupold lets me pick holes in that brush that just weren't there with the peep sights.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much a myth there, nothing is going to punch brush and still hold the course.

I hunt a lot of really thick stuff too, I wait for a more open shot. It's tough and sometimes I don't get a shot but I'm not much for wounding, missing I can handle but not wounding.
That's not true. Iv had a different experience with different ammo and how they hold up to hitting even a twig. The Hornady LE is great but I don't dare shoot it at a twig because it just implodes. I know this from personal experience. I know that it will not maintains a straight trajectory or velocity. I guess I should of out it a better way. I'm looking for alternative that have the ability to punch through heavy brush such as brier patches. A guy I hunt with uses the TSX with his savage 25-06 and he drops every deer he shoots. The only issue I see with his is the bullet just passes right through due to the 3000 fps+ the 25-06 round is traveling. I figure at the lower velocity of the 45-70 it would hit hard and drop the deer where they stood.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I have had 200gr RN bullets turn on twigs, had a 300gr Barnes muzzleloader bullet fly into the blue after contacting 1 briar smaller than my pinky. So from what I have seen personally and from what I have read, yes it is a myth. You have had good luck with your brush busting.

His 25/06 with added velocity will have much more trauma and impact than a 45/70 with a 250 or 300gr Barnes. The only way to 100% drop a deer where they stand is break bones, shoulders and spine with a high shoulder shot. It matters not if it's a .223 or a 45/70 they are down. Hit them in the rib and you have runners most of the time, again it matters not what you shoot them with it's where you shoot them..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had RN bullets turn on twigs, had a 300gr Barnes muzzleloader bullet fly into the blue after contacting 1 briar smaller than my pinky. So from what I have seen personally and from what I have read, yes it is a myth. You have had good luck with your brush busting.

His 25/06 with added velocity will have much more trauma and impact than a 45/70 with a 250 or 300gr Barnes. The only way to 100% drop a deer where they stand is break bones, shoulders and spine with a high shoulder shot. It matters not if it's a .223 or a 45/70 they are down. Hit them in the rib and you have runners most of the time.
I know this. I'm an avid deer hunt. I know what you are saying. I have no intentions of shooting at 60 deer through briers. Nor am I shooting at deer through 1 foot of brush. I am often presented with a decent opening through brush and would love to have the option to take a clean shot when it presents itself and not worry about the round hitting some small piece of brush and tumbling out of control. I'm looking for a bullet that will perform in this type of situation. Also, I know for a fact you can drop a deer with correct shot placement and not hitting any bones. Last year I shot a doe right behind her front left leg on a dead run across a cut over, and her heart pushed clean out of the front of her chest cavity. She dropped dead in a dead sprint. Was using the Hornady 350g LE. Love the round but have not had good luck with it in brush. Hence why I am in the search.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Try the Hornady Interlock 350 JRN or JFN.... good bullet. My brother took a moose with it a couple of years ago. One shot and dropped. He was using a Marlin 1895CB.
His load uses IMR 3031 with the 350 gr interlock bullets.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should have stated the the 350g Hornady LE I have been using has been out of a Marlin 336cc 30-30. This will be my first year with the 45-70

·
Registered
20 Posts
350 grain bullet out of a 30-30? I will side with the myth people. There is no reliable way to design a bullet that will plow through brush. Big, small, fast, or slow; they all can be deflected fairly easily.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
To keep reloading interesting, have some fun, build a load, test it and shoot some deer with this bullet. Then try that bullet and so on. Over the years, I've taken two or more deer with at least 30 different bullets in six calibers. There are some bullets that are awesome, and some are overrated. Eventually, you will find and settle in on those bullets that meet your definition of perfect. However, its a bad idea to point out the overrated bullets, as people who believe in them will get upset with you, as they say ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To keep reloading interesting, have some fun, build a load, test it and shoot some deer with this bullet. Then try that bullet and so on. Over the years, I've taken two or more deer with at least 30 different bullets in six calibers. There are some bullets that are awesome, and some are overrated. Eventually, you will find and settle in on those bullets that meet your definition of perfect. However, its a bad idea to point out the overrated bullets, as people who believe in them will get upset with you.
Ya I have been trying different weight cast bullets from 300-500 and the 405 has been my best performer thus far. I'm not against any bullet. They all serve a purpose. I'm just in search of a bullet that is known for out performing others in bushy areas and thick growth. I hunt tall pines in the east on lumber company land. Hard to traverse because when they clear cut they leave a mess and they do this every 5-7 years and at 2-3 years select cut. Thick growth in some places and pretty open in others. That's why I'm looking for a versatile round.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I would be looking for a bullet that opens fast, expands very well and penetrates thru the deer, looking for DRT, or a easy to follow massive blood trail, over any bullet said to penetrate brush better. As we know, the thick stuff can be extremely hard to track and drag a deer thru, so I want the deer down DRT or down very close. I keep 300gr JHPs in the 45-70. But would think the Barnes an excellent choice.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Forgot that I use the old Barnes 20 gauge sabot load, in shotgun only hunts, which is 44 cal version of the bullet you mention. Frankly its an awesome bullet. Managed over the years to recover a few. 45-70 center of shot to offer scale. Would believe a 45cal version of this bullet would work well.
barnes.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks pretty good. I think I'm gonna load some of the TSX up and see how the gun likes it and shot some in ballistic jell to see how it cavities and the penetration

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have used the old Barns X in the .375 H&H, it's penitration is almost beyond belief.
I also have friends who use the TSX & they love them. He's used them in Africa & I think he has yet to recover one.
Bet it'd serve you well.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wow - am I the only poster who shoots a 300gr TSX-FN in the 45-70? The 300 TSX bullet for the 45-70 looks like an ashtray with its cavernous hollowpoint. It typically expands to over 90 cal and maintains 100% of its weight unless you manage to break off a petal or two. I load this bullet in a Starline case with enough H4198 to get just over 2,000 ft/sec. It regularly shoots under an inch at 100 yds and the recoil is less than loads with heavier/slower bullets. This is a devastating load on blackbears and should perform just as well on whitetails.
Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to how it tracks through brush/twigs etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow - am I the only poster who shoots a 300gr TSX-FN in the 45-70? The 300 TSX bullet for the 45-70 looks like an ashtray with its cavernous hollowpoint. It typically expands to over 90 cal and maintains 100% of its weight unless you manage to break off a petal or two. I load this bullet in a Starline case with enough H4198 to get just over 2,000 ft/sec. It regularly shoots under an inch at 100 yds and the recoil is less than loads with heavier/slower bullets. This is a devastating load on blackbears and should perform just as well on whitetails.
Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to how it tracks through brush/twigs etc.
Thanks for the info! I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it does. I'm gonna purposely set a down branch infront of my range and see what happen. I can paper the 8x8 target so I will definitely know where it hits.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
A friend & myself once did a test on how different ctgs. bucked brush (none of them did what I'd call well) we used the .45-70 with 405gr SPs, a .30-30 170gr RN, a .30-06 don't remember the bullet, we even used a 12ga with slugs, probably the best was a .375 H&H mag using 300 grain solids, but it'd still deflect. What we found no matter what ctg or bullet, is the farther behind the brush the target was placed, the farther the defflection. If the target was placed up to a foot behind the target we'd usually hit within 3" of where we held & could get killing hits most of the time. Farther that one foot & killing hits were a maybe. If the target was 5' behind the brush forget it, save your ammo & a deer from an almost certain long lingering death, at that distance we'd even get keyhole hits at times.

I don't think it's ethical to shoot at an UNWOUNDED animal through brush.
Some may have different experiences, but this is what the target paper revealed to us.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts