Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the reloading game so a friend who has ample experience is "helping" me out (he actually picked up my components to make me a few trial loads yesterday). I should be able to get to his place later this week to shoot - I'll keep you posted.
Loading up 400 gr Barnes Busters for a Safari this August.
Using:
New Starline Brass
H4198 powder - The recipe's start at 48 gr and max is 53 gr - I will see how my rifle likes 49 to start.
CCI 200 LR primers

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve found over time that my rifles might hate a given load and love another load very near it, you might want to load up 5 or so of each powder charge starting at the bottom and work up in .5 grain increments, giving your barrel a chance to cool down in the process. This will give you an idea of what your specific rifle likes, then you can spend your time practicing with that load.
Happy hunting, I’m jealous of safari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Napa - sounds like good advice
For sure, also I have found especially with cartridges like the 45/70 that need a heavy crimp so that the bullets don’t jump under recoil, consistent case length is very important to get that consistency. I would recommend sizing your new brass and trimming to length as necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track. I use starline brass exclusively and have never had to do anything with it. Those folks know how to make brass and it's good for numerous reloads unless you make loads that would launch into the stratosphere. Let us know how you make out and of course a story with pics is ALWAYS welcome here for all of us to drool on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.