Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reloading a 300 RUM. (180 gr.)
What are the thoughts on barnes XLC (molly coated) bullets. I have heard some good and some bad thoughts on molly coating. If in fact the molly increases barrel life, that would be great. (I like to also target shot a little) But, I have heard the build-up of deposits it leaves behind is a pain to clean and sometimes can not be removed from the bore. I would hate to gum up my bore. Can I switch between molly and jacketed bullets? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The coating that Barnes uses isn't moly(or so they claim)
I use moly in some applications but they are few and far between, for hunting-I'd never use it. Moly is a heavy metel poison, why put it into game that you eat?
You should only clean moly after 2000 to 3000 rds- cleaning to bare metal is counter productive. Just remove the powder fouling after shooting.
Switching back and forth is a bad idea accuracy wise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hogs

I shoot and reload for my .375RUM and shoot only 270gr. XLCs after trying several other brands. I've had no problems w/fouling or buildup and the accuracy is exceptional.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
ovis,
I also have a 375 RUM that I want to start loading for. What kind of load are you using, and what results are you having? I was thinking about the Barnes 235gr XLC.
That should be good enough for SQUILLS if their small.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Gurn,

I tried several combinations before settling on the 270gr. XLC and Vhitavouri N160. I got my loads from the Accuratereloading site and used the loads that the host, Saeed, uses in his .375/.404 which, for all intents and purposes, is a .375RUM. The loads are listed on the reloading pages. I really like the VV N160. I was in Michigan three weeks or so ago traveling back to Alaska. It appeared that it was turkey season.........lots of birds and hunters. Check out the loads on those pages.............let me know how they do.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Thanks I'll check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts