Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm pretty new to this post. I just brought home a new 336ss marlin in 30-30. I want to stick with open sights and my older eyes aren't as good as they once were so I've mounted Skinner peep sights on it. Love the setup! I've shot some 160 Hornady Leverrevolution ammo and 150 gr Herters and 170 gr Rem facotory loads tho it. I'm not that impressed with the results. In the end tho I've always reloaded and want reload for this rifle as well. Also I want to try some Barnes TSX bullets thro it. I've used them in a lot of the other rifles I own and I'm impressed with the results of these bullets, both on paper on animals. I've got a good supply of IMR and Hodgen powder. Has anybody used IMR 4320,4064 or 4895 in these loads? I've checked the Barnes manual and I'm sure the powders the recommend are good, but powder is so darn hard to buy these days I'd rather try some of the powder I have on hand first. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I've had excellent accuracy using H4895 with both Hornady 150 grain round nose and Winchester 150 grain Power Points Flat Nose bullets. I haven't tried the Barnes bullets, however.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Barnes

I might be wrong, but I think the Barnes TSX might not perform well at 30-30 velocities. They're a pretty tough bullet and an excellent one at that, when driven to recommended velocities.

·
Super Moderator
15,903 Posts
​I use IMR3031 for my 30/30 Win reloads.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
IIRC PMC loaded a barns bullet in their 30-30 ammo at one time.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I can't complain about the groups it get with Sierra 150gr FP on top of 38gr of Lev.powder with both my 336 and XLR. 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yds. off a bench (scoped)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think the Barnes TSX might not perform well at 30-30 velocities. They're a pretty tough bullet and an excellent one at that, when driven to recommended velocities.
They make a 308 150 grain flat nose bullet designed for the 30-30.It should work as that it was made for.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have never used the Barnes bullet in a 30-30.What I do know is just about any bullet from any manufacturer seems to work good on Deer and Bear.Over the years I have seen hundreds of dead deer killed by the 30-30 and if bullet placement is good they are DRT no matter what bullet was used.Just sayin!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot for the help folks. I'll try the 4320 and 4895 and 3031 powders with the Barnes bullet and post my results... and thoughts. Might be awhile tho. It's still snowing in Idaho where I live! :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Anybody have a picture of the barnes tsx 30-30?
The flat nose description is a little misleading as these are deep hollow points, almost a 1/2" deep. I've only killed paper with them but a guy that had seen me shooting them at the range said they were his favorite for deer, devastating.
Sorry that does not answer the OP's question, I've only loaded them with Leverevolution powder and they are a little to expensive to experiment with.
Barns TSX Hollow.jpg

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I use the Vor-tx 165 gr TSX in my Ruger M77 300 WSM. Probably the most accurate ammo I've ever shot. I agree with Sockeye that this bullet is constructed very heavily. I don't think this is the bullet for the a 30-30, as much as I love this old noble round. I do believe, however, that Barnes males a TSX - FP designed for 30-30 velocities. Never used it but if Barnes makes it, it's the best there is.

Ss

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The flat nose description is a little misleading as these are deep hollow points, almost a 1/2" deep. I've only killed paper with them but a guy that had seen me shooting them at the range said they were his favorite for deer, devastating.
Sorry that does not answer the OP's question, I've only loaded them with Leverevolution powder and they are a little to expensive to experiment with.
View attachment 96615

If penetration is paramount on a large game animal such as elk or moose this is your bullet. The few deer I have taken on deer with Barnes bullets have been most impressive both in penetration on less than ideal shots and impressive destruction of internal organs. Barnes reputation is well deserved and earned.

Chocdog

·
Registered
299 Posts
I stand corrected OLBIKER, I checked out that bullet on the barnes sight and it certainly looks like it's got 336 written all over it. Now I'm going to go back and see if they have one for a .35 rem.

·
Registered
8,230 Posts
I have shot the Barnes 150 HP in 30-30 at targets only and it is very accurate in the Vor-tec factory ammo. Recovered bullets look kinda funny because they don't expand like a lead core bullet. Just a small part of the nose will be peeled back in a petal design with a lot of the shank exposed but it should be pretty lethal. I shoot the Barnes TTSX 200 gn in my 350 rem mag and it performs perfectly and expands almost all the way back to the bottom of the shank.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Looking forward top hearing your range results.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The Barnes Manual list that bullet 150 TSX FN as specifically designed for the 30-30. A carefull read of manual leads to information , that these bullets are designed to shed their petals on hard impacts (read bone) at speeds over 2800 fps. Isn't going to be a factor in 30-30. The idea seems to be the shank alone will do a better job of penetrating deep into bone, for example, breaking a bear shoulder, at close range when your are in trouble with the bear. Which explains why, there have been times, when myself or a bud using this bullet have hit deer close range at very high fps (TSX/3300fps) and the bullet has mushroomed thru, and a few times the petals break off. When the petals break off, with a behind the shoulder shot, its bullet diameter in, bullet diameter out, sometimes the deer are DRT and sometimes they go a short distance into the brush. No real blood trail, and a person may think they somehow missed.

I'll go with the guys who think your choice of bullet is excellent, have used in the 45-70 and its awesome in that application.

Reactions: M700
1 - 19 of 19 Posts