Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is a goofy question that may be totally impractical, but if it were possible could create the perfect 30/30 bullet.

Would it be possible to take a Barnes XFN 150 grain and sand off 25 grains creating a 125 grain Barnes XFN. The copper takes so much extra case capacity that a 150 grain bullet takes powder room and creates more pressure. A 125 grain might be ideal.

If it were possible, how practical would doing it be if I wanted to make say 200 or so?

Would doing so create an inaccurate bullet or would it somehow destroy the integrity of the bullet's construction?

Any thoughts?
PB

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would think that if could cut the base off square 25 grains worth would be fine. The X bullet is supposed to be monolithic so unless the ogive were to some how upset the balance point of the bullet oddly. One other consideration may be how the bullet expands. Every picture of a recoved bullet is split into that X. If you took too much off the base it could split into multiple parts. I would think that would take more than 25 grains worth of copper though. Rig up a jig to keep some parallel to a belt sander and give it a wang. Just post results!!

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Why go to all that trouble? Unless you have nothing better to do with your time. The Rem 170 gr bullet seems to be a great bullet for the 30-30. I drilled a deer on New Years Day at 130 yards and the bullet hit her straight on and went through about 2 foot of deer, hit a rib comming out and then traveled for about another 6 inches between the meat and hide. I dont think one could expect more.

I would think the problem with trying to sand down the tip,or any of it for that matter, is that you may create the bullet to yaw in flight, and most likely will have problems with key holes. It may not expand as designed, and unless they are all near the same I would think accuracy would be a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Heres some 150 XFN that shot at three feet, passed through a 10'' hard tree stump and were stopped by cinder blocks. The lead cores I gave the same test to never made it through the stump. when I dug them out they where just a bunch of little pieces.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If I were to go around hunting tree stumps and cinder blocks I might get me some of them Barnes x bullets. It would be easy for someone to take some copper off the base of a 150 grain Barnes x on a lathe. I don't think you will gain anything though unless performance on trees and cinderblocks is real important.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
"Rig up a jig to keep some parallel to a belt sander and give it a wang. Just post results!!"

I am with Bman. That kind of thinking and tinkering is how new innovative products and improvements come to pass.

Good luck,

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I know a tree stump and cinder blocks are pretty extreme for testing bullets that are used on deer size or smaller game and would never say its needed for them. I think what the X Bullet does, is sort of raise the bar on what the great old 30/30 can do on game we might usually think the old girl is a little light for. From what I've seen, penatration and strong construction is greatly increased over other lead core expanding bullets. Thats just my opinion and you know what they say about those. :) :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I can see the improvement the 150x would make if they cost 15 bucks for 50. Truthfully on the game I will shoot with my 30-30 a 170 RNCL or Speer hotcor work very well. Surprisingly a hard cast gaschecked 311291 gives better penetration than the jacketed bullets and gives good expansion too. The only snivel is you have to cast em.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, you guys were all the convincing I needed to give it a try. It's winter and it's only money right?
PB

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
Other than it would be shorter, I do believe if you could set up a jig in a drill press and drill off say that 25 gns from the nose end, it might be a little easier to do. A X bullet in 125gn would make a good one for extending the 30-30 a few yards due to their construction it should penitrate as well if it is as long as a 150 and only weighs 125 the BC should raise a few pts as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
pappa bear said:
Ok, you guys were all the convincing I needed to give it a try. It's winter and it's only money right?
PB
Just how long are the winters over your way ? ':wink:'

I once bought 300 Hornady 110gn hollow point 270W projectiles. They acted like solids on game, useless. Made a jig to hold the bullet, drilled the tip, cleaned it up with a file. Worked fine after that. What a job.

I switched to 110gn Sierra soft points after that experience, excellent projectile for my purposes.

It's a sunny 100 degrees down here in Sydney this afternoon. Too hot by far.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
482 Posts
I emailed Barnes yesterday about a lighter X bullet for 30-30. The reasoning was this. If the 150 X performs as well as 170's, and that is what I am hearing. It would seem that using a lighter 125-130 gr bullet would give us back some of case capacity. So we could get some trajectory flattening velocity and bigger bulet effectiveness. We update if they respond.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bman,
Nice job! If you can get Barnes to build a better bullet than I can put my tools away.

You are thinking just as I was. A 125 to 130 grain bullet would be capable of 2400 to 2500 fps. That should give it a flatter trajetory. I think it would become the perfect 30/30 deer sized game bullet.

Please keep us updated as I will keep you updated as to my progress.
Pb

·
Registered
482 Posts
Barnes sent me an email stating that there answer department was swamped with triple shock questions and it would be a while before they could give me detailed answer.

So even if I never hear from them again at least they contacted me back pretty quick.

·
Registered
736 Posts
By jove I think that's a bonser idea, mate. Take the weight off the base, not the tip. While you're at it, turn some grooves in those X-bullets and make them into a 125 grain TSXFN. It should further improve velocity and accuracy, and reduce pressure and fouling. When working the metal, take care not to change the temper as they may not expand properly.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just received this email from Barnes bullets and have simply cut/pasted their reply.

Hi Brian

Thanks for the email. At this time we don't have plans to build a lighter 30-30 bullet. I will be happy to turn in a formal request on your behalf.

We Aim to please, reloading is a great hobby, enjoy it.

Ty Herring
Barnes Bullets
Customer Service Director

So I popped off the reply that I would indeed like him to present a formal request and suggested that their triple shock design with a tube mag friendly nose would be excellent.

I guess if we want a lighter 30-30 X bullet were making our own.

B.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had good luck with Speer's 130 gr FN that's designed for the 30-30. Have you considered that in lieu of a Barnes mod., or is it the XFN you're after?

·
Registered
482 Posts
The idea behind the lighter X bullet is this. Something about the X bullet's design allows it to penetrate deeper than lead or lead core bullets of the same weight. Jeff Quinn loves the X bullet for 30-30 and claims it kills equal to or better than any other bullet he has used. I think this may be due the sharp edges of the mushroomed petals. On thinner jacketed and lead bullet these round off and push through not cut.

Anyway if the game effectiveness is similar and it should be we could reduce the bullet weight futher to gain velocity also the length of a solid copper bullet in a 125-130rg would give us back some powder capacity allowing increased charges. Further the longer bullet to weight should give us excellent BC.

Overall if you know your gun well and shoot often most folk can shoot out to 200 yds. with a 30-30. Personally it would be nice if I were to get that kind of shot but my range estimation skills are off that I'd still make meat at say 230 yds.

Where I hunt mostly 100 yds is it but there are clear cuts and planted pines and fire breaks, powerline right of ways that could offer longer shots. Being able to load one bullet to go from zero to a little over 200 with out hold over or any wierd aiming would be nice.

I don't think there are enough people who think like this for Barnes to start producing what we are after.

B.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bman,
I did notice that Barnes added a pointed 130 grain 308 bullet this year. Maybe it could still happen with the XFP if we show enough interest. The more I think about it the more I like the idea. It might take the old 30/30 to a new level of flexablity.

Anyway, I have not yet started doing anything to the Barnes bullets yet. Had some big family stuff come up. Maybe soon though.
PB

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well fellas, spring has sprung here in MO. Never got to this crazy project of a 125 grain Barnes XFP. the more I thought about it the less excited i got. Seems like a lot of money and time and I am probably not the guy to get it right so I bought some 130 grain Speer FP bullets. I know they work and i got excited about them on the 7-30 waters topic.
PB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts