Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright folks, maybe some of you can help me out. i was reading a post a long while back and someone mentioned barking squirrels, but i didn't get a clear picture of what it was. i've searched and can't find anything. could someone please inform me on what this is? it sounds like its almost a dying artform. i'm not all that interested in actually doing it, just interested in what it is. thank you, john.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
If I get to finally go to Shawnee this year that is what I will have to do with my 444S. Just shoot right next to the little boogers and the bark just kills them from the concusion and flying bark shrapnel. :wink: No red mist :lol:

Dave 8)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
From what I've read, Barking is putting a round ball from a muzzle loader into the tree branch underneath the squirrel. The shockwaves from doing this are supposed to do 'Ol Mr. Bushytail in. I got the impression that doing this would require a bit of shootin' skill, especially with a .58-.60 cal. round ball....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Hell I can't hit em regularly.. so barking is out .. didn't work with 22lr. :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
VTDW, You better bring the 600 NITRO-EXPRESS as I don't think the 444 will do the job. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
andrew:

shawnee is in illinois and illinois don't care what you shoot squirrels with in rifle calibers. you can't shoot a deer with a rifle (except muzzleloaders) but you can .458 squirrels all day! go figure.

i do not recomend centerfire rifles for squirrels. the shots will be up high and the bullets will travel a much greater distance. i do not recomend trying to bark squirrels either. they are tough critters and may survive long enough to make it in a hole. you will notice that i never said people can't use them at shawnee. the law says you can and i don't tell people not to excercise their rights. if you feel you must...you can. i just won't recomend it unless it's a reduced load of some sorts that is suitable for taking squirrels and still leaving them as tablefare.

sides....i may need them for the big bbq!

a .22 to the brainbox is a more sure way of getting them and leaving them edible.

hope to see you there!

luck!

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Well dang it then!!! I will just shoot the tree and as the tree falls over GJ will run over and use a net on those little rascals. :lol: :lol: I just have to talk him into it. :wink:

Dave 8)

·
Registered
363 Posts
vtdw:

we can always use the firewood!

luck!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was the gent who posted the item about BARKING.I don't go after squirrels with intentions of using a large caliber centerfire,but when you are in the woods after large game and have an opportunity to shoot a squirrel for the cooking pot, do not hit them as the skin would probably be the only thing left. In that case you aim under them to contact the BARK. It in turn splatters,it then will either kill them outright or stun them and they will fall to the ground. It also works on grouse, or any small game that frequents trees.Ive even been lucky enough to take cottontails when you find them in heavy cover. On rocks or among heavy brush. While squirrel hunting alone I use a 22 rimfire like most everybody else. It is merely a handy way to add something to the pot over the camp fire.MMMM,Squirrel and dumplings,man what a treat.modoc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts