Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently finished the series. Compared to the first European it seemed harsher overall than the European version. My God, what our fathers went through! Both Band of Brothers should be mandatory viewing (parental permission - for the snowflake's parents - Though they're the ones that need it the most!) for high school history students.

These kids today need to know what our country went through to become where we are today.

AC

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
Hey AC, Pacific WWII being my one of two favorite historical studies, I have read much. I will always suggest 'With The Old Breed' by Eugene Sledge. The horrible monotony of savage fighting this young man experienced is almost too much just to read. Any fanciful thoughts of war goes right out the window. .......amazing.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Sounds like a good read. I do believe that the Pacific theater was more brutal than Europe. My Uncle in Law Omer was on Okinawa and he would not ever talk about anything that went on there.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
Hey AC, Pacific WWII being my one of two favorite historical studies, I have read much. I will always suggest 'With The Old Breed' by Eugene Sledge. The horrible monotony of savage fighting this young man experienced is almost too much just to read. Any fanciful thoughts of war goes right out the window. .......amazing.
Available now on EB for 1.00 ppd if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I was in high school when the original European theater series came out. I remember we watched most of it. If I remember right HBO gave permission for it to be used for educational purposes but maybe the history teacher copied it onto VHS illegally.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the old breed were the guys who survived Guadalcanal. Been quite a while since I read that though. The pilots on Guadalcanal didn’t have much fun either.

·
Registered
15,919 Posts
Agree with the OP about teaching our kids about the horrors of war...my father died while bombing Hanoi, and my stepfather never talked much about fighting as a Marine in Korea in 1950-52.
Maybe our progeny will work harder than we did to avoid wars of choice and the wanton and willful waste of human life.
R/Griff

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
Right Nanook ............the air crews were pretty well spent within a few weeks. Dysentery, dengue fever, lousy food when available, little sleep due to constant bombardment at night from offshore destroyers, cruisers. Bad all the way around for everybody. .............From Guadalcanal, the War became a defensive struggle for Japan.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Right Nanook ............the air crews were pretty well spent within a few weeks. Dysentery, dengue fever, lousy food when available, little sleep due to constant bombardment at night from offshore destroyers, cruisers. Bad all the way around for everybody. .............From Guadalcanal, the War became a defensive struggle for Japan.
The Seabees did a hell of a job on Guadalcanal!!! Using the captured Jap equipment, they finished the runway. The Japs had to come back and bomb their own runway to keep the Marine and later Army Air Corp pilots from using it. I don’t remember now how long the Marines endured on Guadalcanal? The Army eventually relieved them but The Marines had kicked ass, even after the Navy got chased out of there by a larger Jap navy. The Navy didn’t get all the Marines supplies off-loaded on Guadalcanal before they were chased off...The Japs had to change their thinking about how they were going to fight the Americans after that lesson...

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
10,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On your advice, I bought the book.! Must reading for history buffs. The video series was a walk in the park many ways compared to the writer whomwas there. Needs be mandatory reading in high schools!

AC

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Robert Leckie, another Marine whose story is followed in "The Pacific," also had written a couple of books. " A Helmet for my Pillow" and "Strong Men, Armed'" are must read books.
My father saw action from New Guinea to the occupation of Japan, while serving in the Army from early 1944 to 1946.
He never talked about the combat he saw, until he was in his late seventies. It still hurt him to remember the events that these great men and women went through, for this country.
Andrew

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
My Dad flew in B-24's over the South Pacific. Although he had 3 near death experiences, he didn't have it half as bad as some of the guys on the ground.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My platoon sergeant in VN jumped into Normandy and later Market Garden with the 101st Airborne... my alma mater. Do you remember the scene during training early in the Band of Brothers series where they ran up Mount Curahee? My son and I ran the three miles up and three miles down a few days after he graduated from Ranger School and a few weeks after I had just retired from the Army.

I'm looking forward to viewing "Greyhound" about the convoys to support the ETO from America. It's another Tom Hanks movie in the vein of Band of Brothers and Pacific.

Apparently Apple TV bought it at the last minute and so you have to subscribe to their TV service at this point to see it.

A great book about the convoys to Russia is "HMS Ulysses" by Alistair MacLean.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds like a good read. I do believe that the Pacific theater was more brutal than Europe. My Uncle in Law Omer was on Okinawa and he would not ever talk about anything that went on there.
And there is a reason why he wold not talk about his war experience. Out of most of the vets I read about less is written or talked about the war in the pacific. Again there is a reason why.

It was a different kind of conflict. The Japanese were fighting for their god and their honor.
They had two choices in battle and that was to kill or be killed. To be taken prisoner was to dishonor your god, country,and family. If it became known you were a prisoner of war it affected your family and you were disowned.

The Japanese looked at prisoners as less than human and treated their dogs better than the prisoners.

May grandfather was in every major battle and conflict when general McAurthor went back to the pacific to take it back after the loss of China.

My grandfather was part of the liberation of China .

The best representation of what fight the Japanese is hacksaw ridge and that was what every battle against the Japanese was like.

Even to the day my grandfather died he couldn’t go into the same room as a Japanese person was in with out breaking out in a cold sweat. That says a lot.

Fighting the Germans wasn’t near as bad.

I agree with you it was more brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts