Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have been thinking about reloading some Ballistic Tips in the 30-30. Namely the 150gr, I will be useing the rifle as a 2 shooter if it works out. However I was wondering if anyone else here has already experimented with these and what they're results were. I was also thinking about trying the 125gr Ballistic Tips for coyote :D.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Your mileage will probably vary, but I did not get much accuracy out of spire point Hornady's loading up as per instructions from levergun forum. I loadede 110 and 130's. I wanted to turn my gun into a varmint gun. I would guess the throat is not ideal for this bullet. Larger spitzer like the 150 may work. It was frustrating to have something not really meant for each other. I get such good performance from the regular bullets, it was hard to pursue this avenue.

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
The spitzer shape generally makes them too long in front of the crimping groove to cycle from the tube magazines. Check and see if you can cycle a loaded round before loading a batch of them. I loaded some 150gn hornady spire points for a NEF 30-30 and they shot fine one at a time. Lucky I had a pocket knife with me the first time I tried to cycle one. I had to cut the exposed lead tip off to get it to raise up on the lifter, so I could chamber the round. With the ballistic tips this would be about the same I would suspect. I did reload a few seated below the groove and they would cycle. Just don't like them for what you would gain I personally think I would stick with the flat tip or round nose. Have fun.

G

·
I have loaded a few in my 336cs, 30/30, but seated the bullets out to just a little off the rifling. This made the loaded round too long to cycle through the action and made it a single shot. Also, if I chambered a round and didn't shoot it, I had to take a screwdriver or knife to pop the extractor loose and shake the round out into my hand. But the 150 BST's (coated) I used were very accurate and didn't show quite as much pressure (max loads) on the case as the regular FN or SP's did. I thought it would make a very good first shot for hunting and with the magazine loaded with regular back up loads. BM

Bill

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I think for now I will just stick with the regular flat points and round nose projectiles for now. :) That way I will not frustrate myself to much. I like to think outside of the box now and then but then realize it is better to follow the KISS analogy (Keep It Simple Stupid) :oops:. Like I said that way I won't frustrate myself to much that way. I think the flat points and hollow points will work out just fine in the 125- 130gr weights anyway.

G

·
Lee makes a RN mold of about 112grs that I tried for groundhogs that worked fairly well . But speed was not it's virtue !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts