Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
loaded up some 30-30 150s yesterday. Tried varget, imr3031,blc2and h4895 the lowest load on all but the 4895 gave sticky extraction and flat primers in my sdt. brass was new privi partisan winchester large rifle. I compared 4 manuals. this is the first time I have had the starting load with multipel powders show high pressure.Any ideas brass maybe or tight chamber? I am not trying for a hot load but would like a factory equiv load. ust got some leverlution powder worked up to the max no problem. Don't know how they shoot yet to much wind. First day it is still I will check the velocity and groupeing

·
Registered
238 Posts
More info perhaps would be good. What was the exact load for example. Is your chamber clean and dry. Did your cases get longer upon firing. Did your web dimension increase after firing ?

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
koathmann Just a thought are you checking oal cartridge length and what is the possibility your bullet is out far enough out that you are against the lands (rifling) . :)

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I suspect hard brass, or maybe thicker than standard. Switch brass and see what you get. Remington tends to be pretty light in comparison, I'd try that first if it was available.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was new remington and seller&bellot(sp) brass.Gun had about 100rds through it.I do not remember powder charges I wright them in my notes but those are in the loading room at the ranch.I do know the ballsilv tip is a longer bullet thus more is in the case. I even tried no crimp. With the lever powder all seems fine. just never run into this efore though the only lever guns I have loaded for are 300 sav 45-70 7 38-40

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I ran into the same thing with the 125 NBT ( I clipped the tip off for COL reasons) in my 30-30 Ackley. I dropped it. What rifle you using? You my be too close to the lands.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
length is not the prolem and it was in SDT the lever powder and balsiltip are working great seated the same depth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts