Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
About 10-12 years ago some individual(s) imported a trailer load of wild hogs and dumped them out in the public hunting area near here, for seed I guess.

The sounder decided to feed during daylight hours in an open private bean field that was just emerging. One of them managed to escape that day, but came back to feed the next day and was not lucky a second time.

I say get with the program and get them eliminated.

Discussion starter · #22 · (Edited)
I don't do trail cams. I like surprises I guess.
However, the DNR when I contacted them, was out here pronto with trail cam in hand.
I'd heard there had been a few hogs in S.E. Iowa several years ago. I'd like to harvest one some day......but in someone else's state.

Fingers crossed it is NOT feral hogs.

There are an incredible number of them around my area. Like fleas on a 2 dollar dog.
I hear some people are actually making a business of exterminating them for farmers, and also offering guided hunts.
Never saw any need for a guide myself.
They are fairly self evident when they are around.
I also happen to be blessed, or cursed, with a would be Hog Dog. I have a MinPin that goes after them relentlessly if she gets a whiff of them. Took her out to a friend's farm where hogs are a problem about a month ago just to see if she still was Hog Wild. She was. Probably get herself rubbed out if I am not careful.
Maxi, the Hog Dog.
In her dreams anyway.
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

You definitely have a hog problem in your area and I'm sure you don't think it is a joking matter. Hogs can do a lot of damage that is hard to correct without large equipment. They have been in my area for the last 20 years and I've seen them and the damage they can do. My little 4 acre spread was never touched until 2 years ago when they discovered my pecan and acorn trees out in the field and the damage they did was more than what I saw in your picture. I smoothed the spots out and 2 weeks later they hit the same spots again. Fortunately they haven't been back since and my house which sits on 2 acres is surrounded by a chain link fence so it is safe.

Hogs roam far and wide so they may or may not return to your property but your neighbors might as well get ready because once they are established in a area, they are established. Hogs are very smart so if you can shoot one or two they usually won't return to that area. One other thing they do is kill and eat fawns so look for the deer population to drop like a rock as well as game birds.

I have skunks and armadillos here also and they do dig softball size holes all they time but that is not what you have...

Looks like part of my front yard right now. I’ve shot or trapped 6 over the last couple years. My neighbor got after it and trapped about 45-50. They may leave for a while but they will come back usually to the same exact spot. I actually bought a night scope and put it on a 6.5 Grendel AR. It will take care of business. Problem is you have to sleep sometime and they don’t run on a schedule. I’ve shot 2 in broad daylight. Best bet is to bait them and shoot a couple and pray they go harass your neighbor. Or hire someone with hog dogs. Here in Texas you have to eradicate 80% a year to stay even with the 3 litters they pump out in a year. Good luck, they are the devils servants.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
And the winner is........
No Primers who guessed a record sized skunk!
No hogs.
A couple raccoons came in each night but passed thru quickly.
Big skunk came in each night and tore up more turf- apparently, DNR says, looking for grubs. Never had this happen here in 26 years we've lived here.
As expected a lot of deer were caught by the camera too.
Happy outcome- no feral hogs.

Near impossible to control the growth and spread. Unbelievably destructive to fields and crops. Generally worthless to eat (sorry my opinion as they are mostly full of parasites) I leave em where I shoot them. Just another highly adaptable animal that have no real natural predators. Treat them like a ( fill in the blank with the hated creature of your choice) and kill everyone you have a chance to.

My apologies as I'm sure this will be an unpopular attitude - especially for those who don't have to actually deal with them.

What you are dealing with is the indiscriminant feeding habits of a group of hooved footed omnivores known locally as a P.W.R. "Piney Woods Rooter" This creature only responds positively one thing and that is lead. You shoot them in daylight and they will return at night unless you knock a big dent in the sounder. You shoot them at night they will move own to other feeding grounds. Trapping can work but is a time consuming venture . Find out if there is a state nuisance control officer and let them deal with them and you may actually see your tax dollars at work.. If you are not particularly interested in harvesting these critters try a load of #4 buck shot on them , shooting the sounder at about 40-50 yds. is a pretty good deterrent (12 ga. 3"#4 buck has 46 pellets)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.